1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many chickens in this coop/run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kellykate, Aug 13, 2013.

1. kellykate

kellykate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Yarmouth, Maine
    I have an 8x6 coop and a 15x15 run. How many chickens would you think would comfortably fit in here and stay warm in the winter. I have 16 chicks right now (5 bantams and 11 standards) but have a feeling I need to sell a few as they are getting bigger but I want them to stay warm this winter. As of now, we are having no pecking issues whatsoever -- a pretty chill bunch. They free-range for a couple hours in the evening. Thanks for your help
    [​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    One of my coops and runs are almost identical in size and originally I had 10 LF hens in there and figured it could hold 12-14 if they grew up together.
    I've never had more than 11 and a rooster in there and most of the time about 5 and a roo.

3. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I think 16 is just fine. And with 5 being bantams that helps. My largest chicken coop is 8x4 coop with 12x12run(+8x4 under the coop)and I started with 12 chickens in it and they did just fine. Right now I have 9(8hens 1rooster) in it and they look comfortable but I do plan to add 2 more hens before winter comes. So I will have 11 total.

4. kellykate

kellykate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Yarmouth, Maine
    Great thanks so much!

5. jorey

jorey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    north adams
    Love the rainbow in the pic. Coops pretty also.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Gorgeous photograph!

The only time you might have a problem spacewise is if you have to confine them to the coop for days on end due to extreme weather or predation issues.
    Do you get a ton of snow there? Is the run roofed and the windward side protected? They may not spend much time in the run if the snow is very deep.

That's a nice little building, is it adequately ventilated? Humidity, from respiration and excretions, is serious concern with a crowded coop....especially in a freezing climate.
    Heat is not necessary, and can be detrimental, if they have lots of ventilation and roosts are out of the direct wind/drafts.

Great article on ventilation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by