How many chickens per coop?

Ada06

Songster
Apr 26, 2020
Lansing, Michigan
The coop is about 6x9 (probably bigger). 8 ft tall at the peak and 4 at the lowest part of the slope. The coop is also raised, so there is a spot for them to be outside in the rain. Technically speaking that fits about 14 chickens. But I need the coop to fit double. (29) I don't want them all free ranging at the same time so about half will be free ranging in the morning, the other half in the afternoon. The ones staying in will be in the 9x9 run. I think the only time they will be in the coop will be to lay eggs and sleep. Is this okay?

Each chicken needs 4 square feet per bird in the coop, and 10 square feet per bird in the run.
We will be extending the run quite a bit and fencing them in about 1 acre to wander. But that will all come later because I need to slow the spending for awhile. Wood costs SO much! How do people afford it right now?! My coop has cost almost 3000 dollars already and the inside isn't fully done yet!

We will be extending the run quite a bit and fencing them in about 1 acre to wander. But that will all come later because I need to slow the spending for awhile. Wood costs SO much! How do people afford it right now?! My coop has cost almost 3000 dollars already and the inside isn't fully done yet!
I have no idea. We're building a deck right now and its been very expensive.

How come your coop is so expensive? You can get wood for free, like from old pallets on craigslist.

How come your coop is so expensive? You can get wood for free, like from old pallets on craigslist.
It is a permanent coop, sided, insulated, and a storage area. It is also two sided. A side for my egg hens and a side for my silkie flock ( I am selling hatching eggs this year). Granted, a lot of stuff could be cheaper if we get it for free or reuse something but we have a bit of a time pinch.
IMG_20210515_102953.jpg
IMG_20210519_220319_485.jpg

It is a permanent coop, sided, insulated, and a storage area. It is also two sided. A side for my egg hens and a side for my silkie flock ( I am selling hatching eggs this year). Granted, a lot of stuff could be cheaper if we get it for free or reuse something but we have a bit of a time pinch. View attachment 2689130 View attachment 2689128
So the over all space is: 18x9.

oh wow, that is a very fancy coop. 29 chickens needs at least twice as much space. i am guessing your winter gets pretty cold so they will spend most of the time indoors. Is the building 18x9 or 6x9? you posted different numbers so i am confused

Also, we got like 1,000 dollars worth of plywood and 2x4's from a relative for free ( tearing apart an old playhouse). So that was a big help!

Back
Top Bottom