How many chickens to start with?

My brooder has a transparent roof but the whole area is heavily shaded once the trees leaf out. Sunlight is awesome if you're using the mama heating pad because they can anticipate approaching dark.

Oh gosh, I kind of don't want to spend too much time outside in February.:hmm What about the basement? Is that a possibility? I guess I was operating under the assumption they needed sunlight, though maybe that's not the case with artificial lighting in their brooder?
I kept mine indoors for about 6 weeks the first few times, it's quite dusty, can get stinky, and they need more room than you think. They grow very quickly doubling their size in just a few weeks.
Now I move them out to the coop by about 1-2 weeks old, before they start shedding too much fluff. That way I get to spend some time watching and handling them, but avoid the dust factor. Sunlight, or at least some natural light, is good in the brooder area.
Many folks now use a heating pad DIY deal instead of, or in addition to, a heat lamp.
Chicks are quieter and calmer, especially at night, and it acclimates them to a day/night cycle right off the bat.

Here's some of my DIY chick gear/info:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/pseudo-brooder-heater-plate.67729/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-brooder-palace.67730/

This is helpful, thank you. Yes, chickens will be pets in our family and will live out their lives regardless of egg production so I like the idea of starting at 5. This may be a question for another board, but generally, is it easier on the flock to introduce new girls that are already adults, or get chicks and integrate those?

IMO much easier to integrate youngsters, if you have the space, and know how to do so safely. You will also avoid much of the risk associated with bringing in birds from an outside flock.

Good advice on snow removal. Our dog was a stray from down south and an absolute weenie about going out in the snow to potty, so we already have a system in place to clear her paths out back. Will the chickens be interested in getting out of the coop and run for exercise and adventure if we have cleared trails through snow for them? I have so much to learn! :caf

Yes, they will want to go out in all but the nastiest of weather. I live in central maine, and we have days on end that may not get above 0*F. The girls go out into their sun room any time the temp gets up into the teens. They will happily dust bathe when it's in the teens to 20's! The "sun room part of their run makes it possible for them to make compost for me year round. They HATE to walk on snow, but will even brave that to get to their sunroom.

Keeping chicks in the house gets old/dusty REAL quick.
Chicks can be brooded outdoors.

Imagine spraying the counters and walls of your kitchen with cooking oil. Then, toss a nice layer of flour onto all surfaces. That's chick dander! And it will ooze throughout your house.

MHP brooding is definitely the way to go, and brooding them in the coop means that they will not have to adjust to a housing change. And having your coop electrified, makes it possible for: heated waterer, MHP brooder, lighting in the winter to encourage laying, and an automated pop door!!! Or even running a hot wire around your coop/run.

Hi all! Planning my small flock and wondering if anyone has advice on how many chicks I should order. I will pick them up in person, so I'm not worried about loss in the mail. It's just my husband and I, and our dog (who matters because she gets an a soft-boiled egg every night on her kibble). I know the question of "how many?" varies greatly by coop and yard restrictions, but at this point we have none because we're in the planning stages and the world is our oyster! Does 5 hens seem like a "normal" amount for a family our size? We have no intention of selling eggs, but will have coworkers and neighbors that would love some if we were to have extra. We probably eat a dozen-18 eggs a week on average. The breeds we like are EE, Dominiques and Wellsummers and we'll get some combo of those. We'll get sexed chick from Meyer Hatchery in February. The time

My hubby and I, or rather I have 5 laying hens, and eggs coming out of our ears. I do give them away as gifts, and people are pleased.

My advice, build for 8-10, start with 5. Plan to add a couple next year, some in, some out each year is the healthiest flock, will give you the most consistent egg production.

A bit extra room is better than not enough.

Mrs k

Because my chicks aren't being shipped (I will pick them up in person), do I need to plan on any loss?? I will read every book I can get my hands on and won't cut any corners on feed, or care, or brooder specs, but I still don't know if I should expect to lose a chick or two. I figure since I'm going a ways to get them, I want to get them all at once and not be at the mercy of unsexed chicks in a bin at a local feed store for a replacement. Especially if it means adding one younger chick to a group of established older ones. So should I pad my ideal 5 chicks with an extra and make it 6? Or even 7?

Losses depend on so many things...not just shipping. I would throw an extra one in just for the fact one may end up being a rooster.

Back
Top Bottom