How many chicks should I get in the spring?

Jul 9, 2020
Melbourne, Australia.
I am so looking forwards to spring! I have four gorgeous girls, 26 weeks and not laying. I am looking to get some more. I live in the suburbs and I am not wanting to end up with more than 8-9 chickens. I have a friend who lives up in the country, 3 hour's drive away. I am sure I could ask him to get some for me. We will do our best to sex them (I CANNOT have Roos, full stop.) If I do end up with Roos I will do my best to give them to good homes, maybe the breeder would take some back, but it can be difficult. I was hoping to get 6-8 chicks, and maybe end up with 3-4. Having 5 probably wouldn’t be a problem, but I’m looking for about 3-4. Some of them will likely be roosters, some may get sick and die. I will do everything I can to keep them healthy, but chickens are pretty vunerable. I started with 6 pullets. One died after a week or two. We think she was bitten by something poisonous. Another had some sort of stroke or was born with a neurological condition, and we had to put her down. I love my chickens very much, and will care for them as best as I can, but I will jot take them to the vet. They are precious to me, but in the end, they are 10 dollar chickens, and I can’t affort to pay hundreds for treatment that often won’t work. So, if some are roosters, and some die, I want to be left with the right amount, 3-4. I am thinking of getting some silkies, bantam ameracuanas, bantam australorps and Dutch bantams. Any ideas? (My coop is about 12 sq metres or more, I let them freed-range often. It could comfortably fit 6-8 hens)

Well, it sounds like you have thought this through and already decided what to do, and decided to tell us. So, I don't know what, if anything, you are asking us.

Well, it sounds like you have thought this through and already decided what to do, and decided to tell us. So, I don't know what, if anything, you are asking us.
Oh, I’m just not very experienced, but I know there are people here who are. I was just hoping to hear other opinions and what the rooster and survival rate usually is.

Survival rate is dependent on so many factors...!

If you really cannot have roosters, may I ask why you are buying chickens before their sex is apparent? I sell already-laying hens and pullets for $10 each, and I am pretty sure I am on the high end, because I am near a major city and its suburbs. There are lots of people on this site, Poultry Show Central, and the hatcheries that could sell you just the adult or almost-adult hen you are looking for.

Buying a chicken at the 6 month to one year stage should allow you to pick a girl instead of a boy, and they will already be past all those early-death/sickness problems that might tempt you to use a vet. If you look on this site for the see-but-don't touch methods for introducing new flock members, you will find lots of good advice that will let you adjust your flock to just the right size for you.

I do agree with @ConnieA . However I do understand that some chicken people want to start with young chicks for reasons like making them used to yourself and your environment and setup. In that case I suggest you to get 6 sex links if you want to be sure of their gender.
Yes, I would like to raise them from chicks, it’s a fun experience, and you can hand-rear them easier. I could get them from another breeder, but I don’t know any others answer haven’t heard of any that can guarantee sex. As for getting sex-links, I could, but I’m looking for lots of different interesting breeds, and bantams. This guy can’t guarantee sex, but he’s and expert, he’s been raising poultry for 40 years. He might actually be able to vent sex them. By not guaranteed, I mean not many people can bee 100% accurate for chicks. Also, I know there are big hatcheries like McMurray's that would be a great place to get chicks, but they are in the US. I am in Australia, and there’s aren’t any suitable hatcheries that I know of. If I get Roos, I will make sure they go to very good homes. The breeder will very likely take them back. He really cares about his birds, and I trust him.

Yes, I would like to raise them from chicks, it’s a fun experience, and you can hand-rear them easier. I could get them from another breeder, but I don’t know any others answer haven’t heard of any that can guarantee sex. As for getting sex-links, I could, but I’m looking for lots of different interesting breeds, and bantams. This guy can’t guarantee sex, but he’s and expert, he’s been raising poultry for 40 years. He might actually be able to vent sex them. By not guaranteed, I mean not many people can bee 100% accurate for chicks. Also, I know there are big hatcheries like McMurray's that would be a great place to get chicks, but they are in the US. I am in Australia, and there’s aren’t any suitable hatcheries that I know of. If I get Roos, I will make sure they go to very good homes. The breeder will very likely take them back. He really cares about his birds, and I trust him.
I plan on keeping them in a large brooder. Once they are old enough I will keep them in a small coop with a run attached and let them free range daily. Then when they are almost fully- grown, I will introduce them to the others. I know that introducing chickens can be tedious, but I plan on doing it slowly and doing lots of research on what method to take.

Back
Top Bottom