How many day until hatch?

Nuderenski

Hatching
Mar 10, 2018
Okay, I got 3 Welsh Harlequin eggs from a neighbor. I was told ducks have a 28 day incubation period. So I incubated them all together about halfway through I candled them and only 1 of the 3 was developing. So I took the 2 out and left the good one in by itself.

Day 25 I put it in lockdown..and... by day 28.... nothing. So I kept it in there an extra 4 days but still nothing... I figured it probably died in the shell so I unplugged the incubator took the egg out and decided to candle the egg.....

To my surprise not only could I see the whole silhouette of a fully developed duckling, but it was moving, alive and pecking on the inside of the shell.. I quickly plugged in incubator back in and put the egg back..

So my question is.... what is the incubation period of a duck? Is it 28 days? Or something else? I am now almost on day 33 and I know for a fact the duckling is still in the egg alive. Could it just be struggling and I should help it at this point? Or should I just continue waiting to see if it hatches on its own?

Looking for some helpful advice.

Anything would be appreciated.

You know it's alive, I'd wait. Will see ask for HELP here....
@WVduckchick @casportpony @BantyChooks

Chickens - Incubation Chart.jpg

The head was in the air cell and it was actively pecking the inside of the shell.... it still hasn’t peeped through and that was like 18 hours ago. I am very nervous and wondering if I am at the point that I should help...it seems like it can’t break the shell. This is my first time incubating ducks. I have done lots of chickens...sometimes I have had one hatch a a day or two late.... but never 5 days late...I am shocked it is even still alive.

So that is what I did.....I candled it again just before.... it is still alive, however it did seem much weaker than yesterday. I used a pushpin and pushed it in just enough to pierce the shell. When I did that it did seem “reinvigorate” it again.

I hope this little guy makes it....

This is crazy... I’ve never seen this happen before.

I remember a thread a while back, someone had lost power for a couple days and assumed all the chicks were dead, left it turned off for several days, then heard peeping! Turned it back on and some hatched.

I would recommend if it doesn't break the shell on its own pretty soon (6-8 hours?), remove a larger area of shell over the air cell and check out the membrane. Moisten it with some coconut oil, Vaseline, Neosporin, something like that. Look for active blood vessels. If any are large and apparent, it's not ready yet.

I remember a thread a while back, someone had lost power for a couple days and assumed all the chicks were dead, left it turned off for several days, then heard peeping! Turned it back on and some hatched.

I would recommend if it doesn't break the shell on its own pretty soon (6-8 hours?), remove a larger area of shell over the air cell and check out the membrane. Moisten it with some coconut oil, Vaseline, Neosporin, something like that. Look for active blood vessels. If any are large and apparent, it's not ready yet.
:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom