how many days do you guys wait

hunterjumper999

Songster
11 Years
Dec 26, 2008
Box Springs
before spending money on eggs to but under a broody. My black Aussie is sitting on 1 egg in a nest with a broken bottom in it ( so ones the max she'll keep ithout it falling out beloww) how long do i wait to make sure shes staying put ( at which point im moving her to a dog crate. )

First I would fix the bottom of the nest. Then place fake eggs in the newly fixed nest and see if she will go broody. Until she has the desire to sit don't waste your money! Do you have a rooster and other hens? If so just collect a clutch of eggs and refrigerate them until you have the desired amount and your hen is showing signs of being broody then replace the fake eggs with the real deal. Good luck.

interesting, so i can hatch sucessfully with refridgerated eggs then? good to know.

the nest is not movable. its nailed in a million ways the the wall. I have to replace the straw in it, which i half did two days ago, now she claimed it as hers.

I will try golf balls in the crate.. hopefully it will work.

No you can't hatch with refrigerated eggs. What he's saying is that you can trick her into sitting on refrigerated eggs and then when you're sure she's gone broody on those, order the ones you want and replace the cold ones with the good ones you want hatched. I really hope you come back and see this >.>

Just make sure the refrigerated eggs aren't fertile. If you don't have any try golf balls. If she stays on for a few days, she should be truly broody.

Last edited:
ha, yes i did come back...thats what i figured anyway!

I'm going to move her tonight, how long should I give her to get back on the nest before releasing her again? i free range 24/7 unless they are broody.

Back
Top Bottom