How many days?

howertop

Chirping
Feb 28, 2018
Northern ca
I am a beginning chicken raiser. I have two chickens, one australope and one wyondotte. I had three but I lost one last week. My question is, Lizzie, my australope has been taking so long laying her egg lately. I'm paranoid she might get eggbound so have been watching her closely. Last night it took her over two hours, today she didn't lay any. When should I do the epsen salt soak? I'm afraid it will stress her out a lot and I don't want to do it till I know its necessary. Shes eating well and drinking water. The last couple days I've been giving her and Ethel vitamins in their water. Her poop is a little loose but I wouldn't call it diareah. Any ideas?

I am a beginning chicken raiser. I have two chickens, one australope and one wyondotte. I had three but I lost one last week. My question is, Lizzie, my australope has been taking so long laying her egg lately. I'm paranoid she might get eggbound so have been watching her closely. Last night it took her over two hours, today she didn't lay any. When should I do the epsen salt soak? I'm afraid it will stress her out a lot and I don't want to do it till I know its necessary. Shes eating well and drinking water. The last couple days I've been giving her and Ethel vitamins in their water. Her poop is a little loose but I wouldn't call it diareah. Any ideas?
how old is she?

I'd give it until tomorrow, at the very least. Chickens skip days in the laying cycle pretty commonly.

And the fact that she's pooping means that she probably doesn't have one stuck inside. Hens can't poop if they're actively trying to push out an egg.

As for spending two hours on the nest--well, some hens just like to do that. We have one little Easter Egger who likes to sit there for hours, and one leghorn that takes five minutes. Some'll sit on the egg for a while after they've laid it. Some get in there early, and I am convinced that it is to claim the 'best' nesting box.

In short, I wouldn't get paranoid just yet.

I also have hens that spend hours on the nest. I think it just feels like a good place to spend some time for them. And it could be their way of claiming that nest until they are ready to lay. Australorps are one of my favorite hens and they have always been good layers for me.
Australorps also have a tendency to go broody very young. I have a 9 month old Australorp who has already hatched 6 chicks that are now 2 weeks old. ;)

Back
Top Bottom