How many ducks to keep?

shy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
It is not definite yet, but I think I have 3 drakes and one duck. They are 7 week old campbells and I was planning on keeping them for eggs. I can hear one that quacks. The three other are quiet. I am still hoping that I am wrong. But if I am not, how many drakes should I keep?

I hear that you aren't supposed to keep a pair as the male is quite aggressive to the female. And you can't just keep one duck by herself. Would it just be worse if I kept 2 males or would they spend half the time fighting each other and leaving the duck alone?

I just read that you can keep all males together and shouldn't have any problems (no female to fight over) but then you wouldn't get eggs. You can also keep one male and one female as ducks naturally pair up. I wouldn't keep more than one drake if you only have one hen.

Unless I'm horribly mistaken you can separate the ducks from the drakes and the hens will still lay eggs. Just none of them will be fertilized. Just like with chickens yeah?

I would definately not keep more then 1 drake. The drakes try to breed continously and that poor little duck would be a mess if she had to put up with more then 1 drake!

We have 9 females I was quite happy with that but DH's friend had to go for an operation and wanted to rehome his ducks so now we have one male mallard. I still hate to see him mate them as hes agressive but at least with ten they can get away from him I was getting plenty of eggs without the drake if thats what you want.

Back
Top Bottom