How many ducks to keep?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by shy, May 15, 2008.

1. shy

shy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2008
    It is not definite yet, but I think I have 3 drakes and one duck. They are 7 week old campbells and I was planning on keeping them for eggs. I can hear one that quacks. The three other are quiet. I am still hoping that I am wrong. But if I am not, how many drakes should I keep?

I hear that you aren't supposed to keep a pair as the male is quite aggressive to the female. And you can't just keep one duck by herself. Would it just be worse if I kept 2 males or would they spend half the time fighting each other and leaving the duck alone?

2. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    I just read that you can keep all males together and shouldn't have any problems (no female to fight over) but then you wouldn't get eggs. You can also keep one male and one female as ducks naturally pair up. I wouldn't keep more than one drake if you only have one hen.

3. dragonshiner

dragonshiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Unless I'm horribly mistaken you can separate the ducks from the drakes and the hens will still lay eggs. Just none of them will be fertilized. Just like with chickens yeah?

4. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    if you want fertile eggs leave 1 drake with her she will lay with no drake.but they will not hatch put the other drakes together

5. katemary63

katemary63 Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2008
    Dover, AR
    I would definately not keep more then 1 drake. The drakes try to breed continously and that poor little duck would be a mess if she had to put up with more then 1 drake!

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I would only keep one Drake with her. Having more than one, they could kill the female during breeding season, or kill each other.

7. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    We have 9 females I was quite happy with that but DH's friend had to go for an operation and wanted to rehome his ducks so now we have one male mallard. I still hate to see him mate them as hes agressive but at least with ten they can get away from him I was getting plenty of eggs without the drake if thats what you want.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by