How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

6 Mon., 8 yesterday, 6 today. Out of 8 hens. I broke one today, its shell was a tiny bit thinner than usual. Looks like I need to give them a little more layer feed. They weren't eating quite as much when it was really cold, it seemed.

Jim White- A question. Are you the same guy who used to raise Gold Comets? Do you totally replace your flock at each molt? 11 out of 35 hens here. 15 new pullets, 1 roo and 20 gals from 2-4 years old.

I used to have a flock of GC's. But no, I didn't replace them at each molt. I kept the 25 or so GC's that I had until this spring for 3-1/2 years. When it was apparent they were all spent a friend took them and they went away to freezer camp, or at least that's what we told Olivia our seven year-old granddaughter. This past September we got 24 BSL's and we've been very happy with the results. They are fantastic layers, at least as good as the GC's. They started laying at 26 weeks just after Thanksgiving. Since Christmas they've been laying 20 +/- eggs each day. Basically the same bird as the GC's, just a different color.

Jim white- I wonder when your granddaughter will catch on to that and what she'll have to say! Lol

5/11 1 barred rock ( no egg today ) 4 tetra tints and 6 buff Orpingtons .
We are getting at least 6 more girls in the Spring. We are looking for RSL or BSL and probably about 10-12 weeks old.

Went out this morning for chicken duty. With a flock of only 9 hens, it usually take only a couple of minutes. The following happened in less than one minute:

Opened the door between the shed and our 5x10 coop.
Everyone was mingling and expecting breakfast.
Poured some warm water in the water hopper.
Opened the hatch to the pen.
Noticed New Girl (who NEVER uses a nesting box) walk to the corner of the coop and start to puff out.
I picked her up to put her in a nesting box 8' away.
As I take my second step, I feel an egg gently hit the top of my boot and roll down into the bedding.

This is the first time I've ever "caught" her laying an egg. Now I know why - It takes her less than one minute!

21 from 23 BSL's. Yeah, 23. We lost one yesterday. After that last cold spell I noticed her all puffed out and moping about and when I went down yesterday when I got home she was laying dead in the coop. Doesn't look like anything running through the flock with all the others looking pretty good. Just one of those things I guess.

Back
Top Bottom