How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

7 eggs today. So I introduced 2 hens, 1 that had been part of the flock but then was out of site for 4 days while healing from an injury & a new pullet at POL that was coming off a 4 week quarantine.  I put them in together because I had heard that the flock will "forget" the former flock mate & treat her like a newbie.  Not do in this case!  The former flock mate went right back in the midst of things and the 1 newbie is having to go it alone.  I feel sorry for her.  I'll be glad when they finally accept her.
Aww I hate the pecking order thing, poor baby
1f626.png

He did survive, but I do not know for how long, he was a mess, he had splayed legs and was extra tiny, very weak, so I culled him today. :( The little pullet is doing very well. I bought her 3 friends from the feed store. I got her a Buff Orpington, and 2 Barred Rocks. I know nothing about Barred Rocks, I was going to get White Leghorns but the feed store said that the shipment did not come in. Dunlap Hatchery said they had a bad batch and did not want to ship them. I do not hear any chirping from the last 10 eggs, and doubt anything else will hatch, Cream Legbars are hard to hatch. However: It would be a nice surprise if more hatch!! And I am super excited I got one pullet. I only got one pullet last year out of 3 hatches!!! :weee Here are my new girls, the Cream Legbar that I hatched is the chipmunk striped brown one, the yellow chick is the Buff orp, and the Black ones are the Barred Rocks:
that's sad to hear. But today and yesterday I was home early enough to let everyone free range for the afternoon. The red stars wanted treats and I sat out and watched them. And then of course e. everyone was curious as to what I might have. The home girls always love a treat but they got really close. It is working curiosity is helping. Only one little squabble but nothing major. And I saw one red star and two SLW and one EE with the home girls. They must be getting used to each other's sounds. I'm going to try and put them in the run together his weekend, to see how everyone acts WOTH the actual pecking order. That way I can watch them closely. But I think they are going to mesh well. And I have nAmed the white Leghorn, Peewee. I get an egg from her everyday. Since day one!!! And both red stars!!

3/8/9 lost two girls to a 'possum this week. My other ladies are off their game. My two olive eggers too. My sweet girls. Found the hole in the barn and fixed it so fingers crossed. Had to explain to my daughter about "mother nature's tax".

that's sad to hear. But today and yesterday I was home early enough to let everyone free range for the afternoon. The red stars wanted treats and I sat out and watched them. And then of course e. everyone was curious as to what I might have. The home girls always love a treat but they got really close. It is working curiosity is helping. Only one little squabble but nothing major. And I saw one red star and two SLW and one EE with the home girls. They must be getting used to each other's sounds. I'm going to try and put them in the run together his weekend, to see how everyone acts WOTH the actual pecking order. That way I can watch them closely. But I think they are going to mesh well. And I have nAmed the white Leghorn, Peewee. I get an egg from her everyday. Since day one!!! And both red stars!!
Thank you for the update!!!!! It makes me feel so happy to hear about how they are doing. It sounds like they are going to get along.

Pee Wee.....now that is cute!

I love the Red Stars and the Leghorns, they are hands down the best layers and my favorites. Every once in awhile, they take one day off....that is it. Those girls lay eggs all winter long as well.

I can't wait to hear all about your weekend's episode of "Chicken Vision"!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom