How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

Is it good or bad if my hens lay a lot of eggs? Both my silkies have layed way over 10 eggs each. Sometimes it was every other day and sometimes it is every day. The one was broody for about 2 weeks after laying her eggs, then she was back to normal, and today she layed an egg again. My other silkie doesn't seem to stop laying eggs. Not sure when she will want to stay on the eggs, but they are not fertile, so I'm just collecting them for breakfast. Just want to know as I'm new to this and have my 2 cuties for almost a year.

Maybe the dirt floor will be cooler:idunno. If that doesn't work then I'll go to plan C, then D, E, F...:lau
I suspect you'll be onto plan C right away. The ground is easy for her to warm up. I tried breaking a girl in place in a nest box. She melted 2 refreezable ice packs (5"x6"x1/4") in succession over the span of a couple of hours.

Is it good or bad if my hens lay a lot of eggs? Both my silkies have layed way over 10 eggs each. Sometimes it was every other day and sometimes it is every day.
How old are they? It isn't unusual for a hen to lay every day or every other day though I'm not a silkie owner so I don't know their productivity. When they were first laying I've had girls lay as much as 30 days in a row then take a day off and lay every day for a couple of weeks. Eventually they settled down to 5ish a week.

I suspect you'll be onto plan C right away. The ground is easy for her to warm up. I tried breaking a girl in place in a nest box. She melted 2 refreezable ice packs (5"x6"x1/4") in succession over the span of a couple of hours.

How old are they? It isn't unusual for a hen to lay every day or every other day though I'm not a silkie owner so I don't know their productivity. When they were first laying I've had girls lay as much as 30 days in a row then take a day off and lay every day for a couple of weeks. Eventually they settled down to 5ish a week.

Thanks. They are about 10 months now. So I guess they are healthy then :)

Is it good or bad if my hens lay a lot of eggs? Both my silkies have layed way over 10 eggs each. Sometimes it was every other day and sometimes it is every day. The one was broody for about 2 weeks after laying her eggs, then she was back to normal, and today she layed an egg again. My other silkie doesn't seem to stop laying eggs. Not sure when she will want to stay on the eggs, but they are not fertile, so I'm just collecting them for breakfast. Just want to know as I'm new to this and have my 2 cuties for almost a year.

Are they hatchery birds ? or did you get them from a breeder

So far every time I have checked on her she was up walking around and complaining about her confinement!

16 eggs today.

So far every time I have checked on her she was up walking around and complaining about her confinement!
Then it is working! Mine usually complain for a time but are still broody clucky when they give up on wandering and complaining. I wait until they "talk" to me "normally" and then let them out. Sometimes they cheat, talking nice, and get out before they are really ready and end up back in solitary.

Back
Top Bottom