How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

Whether true or not, my understanding is that sex links tend to run hard and burn out fast which is why I don't have any. I don't add winter light for the same reason. As long as they are healthy they get to live producing or not and I figure if they aren't pushed to produce 12 months a year they will produce more years.

Point taken. I got another 4 eggs today and gave a dozen to a neighbour. There are still three eggs sitting on my counter. The poor girls need to take it easy. They're pets, not machinery. I got the not quite ready-to-lay sex links because I wasn't able to predict when I got the coop and run completed and didn't want to take a chance on brooding day-olds and not having a home for them when they were ready for outdoors. I won't be in the same position going forward and truth be told, I could have just been more patient this year. I've now got a lot more local sources of birds as well a little bit of stability to allow for ordering from hatcheries. In the future, I'd consider Buff Orpington, Buff Brahma and Barred Rock pullets. In the meantime, I hope that the ones I have will be happy in my back yard for their natural lifespans.

Last edited:
6 but I expect 1 more, Cassie came flying off the nest at 5:30 when I got out the evening scratch.

I'm more worried about her starving herself to death or at least to the point that she gets sick!
Right, which is why you break them. It is for their own good, though some well meaning people think it is cruel. I think it is more cruel to let them sit on shavings and starving for no end purpose. A hen incubating chicks will get off the nest daily for a short feed and bathroom break after about day 3 (so I've read) then sit tight the last few days. I wonder if their hormones tell them they have to sit tight until they somehow detect the eggs are developing. Of course that will never happen with shavings, plastic, ceramic eggs or golf balls.

8 today.....but 2 dont count, discovered today another of my pullets has started laying. Caught her nesting on a screen I had stored in the coop rafters...... with two eggs...... left her alone to produce #3 and then rearranged things to her dismay, lol.

These are from my new layers over the last 4-5 days.....pearl white leghorn (edna), Whiting true green(eunice) and little miss sneaky a Whiting true blue(hattie)....all started at 18w....loving my new girls so far.....
20190619_182747.jpg

13 eggs today.
Right, which is why you break them. It is for their own good, though some well meaning people think it is cruel. I think it is more cruel to let them sit on shavings and starving for no end purpose. A hen incubating chicks will get off the nest daily for a short feed and bathroom break after about day 3 (so I've read) then sit tight the last few days. I wonder if their hormones tell them they have to sit tight until they somehow detect the eggs are developing. Of course that will never happen with shavings, plastic, ceramic eggs or golf balls.

I agree with you completely. So far I have moved her out of the nest box multiple times a day. That hasn't gotten through to her, so tomorrow I will need to find a place to wire up a metal cage that I can put her in with some food and water in a place that she will be safe. Hopefully it will just take a couple of days in there to do the trick.

@karenerwin couple cinder blocks will work also have 9 for main coop and the silky still 1
I put her under a wire hamster/bunny cage that doesn't have a floor in it. It's sitting on the dirt floor of the coop. I figure that at least gets her out of the nest boxes and wood shavings. Maybe the dirt floor will be cooler:idunno. If that doesn't work then I'll go to plan C, then D, E, F...:lau

Back
Top Bottom