How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

image.jpg

the 60 gram egg vs the 99 gram egg.

Thanks it feels like it's been forever! I'm not sure which one laid it. My Welsummer is about a month older than my white rocks so I'm guessing its probably hers.
Looks a little light colored for Welsummer, doesn’t it? Then again, if it’s her first one, maybe the color is off a little. Congratulations! Do your birds have enough calcium though? The shell on the big end looks a bit thin.

@karenerwin, 99 grams? Dang, woman, you hatching for Jurassic Park or something?:gig

2 eggs for me today. I think all the work I’m doing in their yard has them spooked. Except for my Easter Egger. She laid for me faithfully, the little trooper!:love

Last edited:
Looks a little light colored for Welsummer, doesn’t it? Then again, if it’s her first one, maybe the color is off a little. Congratulations! Do your birds have enough calcium though? The shell on the big end looks a bit thin.

I thought maybe it was a little light for a welsummer. So it could be from one of the white rocks. They do have oyster shell at their disposal but they don't seem to touch it much. Not nearly as much as the grit. Now that I don't have a rooster anymore I'm going to switch to layer feed once I finish this bag of flock raiser.

Might want to try eggshell, it absorbs differently than oyster shell. I use both, and my girls always choose the eggshell first. I just wash and crush mine, but you can always toast them in the oven if you are afraid of egg-eating.

I could probably try that. I'm looking for least labor intensive method possible so I'll give it a shot and see what happens. This is literally my first egg so I haven't been terribly worried about it yet.

Zero. Spring is coming though. Prior two days got 2 a day after 5 weeks of 0-1 a day (3-5 a week) from 16 chickens. Pretty sure one RIR my superstar. Next winter I’m lighting the coop at least part of the winter
Mine have a little light added because I have Bobwhites penned inside the henhouse. A couple extra hours of light a day. I got 23 eggs today.

Back
Top Bottom