How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

Any tips on getting my pullets to start using the nest boxes? I'm in N FL so I have an open coop built around an older 4x8x3 coop that was on the property. They didn't want to go in there so I got 2 outside boxes but they ignore those as well and lay all over the place on the ground. All boxes are lower than the roosts and all have fake eggs in them.

Make sure the boxes are somewhat "private".

Day 5 in the life of my babies. All seems well on that front and momma has steadfastly hung tight on the other 2 eggs. They should hatch tomorrow. Or Friday so here's hopeing.
fl.gif

Got a solid 6/6/7+2 littles. So I'm doing good.

I got a closer look at the babies and I'm thinking I've got 1 of each. Cock and a pullet chick. Just from looking. I'm no expert so I guess I'll wait until I hear a crow or egg lol.

I believe Black Australorps are able to be sexed by checking the wing feathering, at least mine seemed to be. The ones with two distinct rows of feathers (different lengths) are pullets, and the ones with all the same length feathers (usually shorter) are cockerels. The cockerels also don't seem to feather in overall as quickly as the pullets.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom