How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

I got my 1st egg today!!!! I couldn't eat it because it was frozen and I had gotten out there late so they had busied it and then all taken turns walking on it was it was cracked but still! It was on of my EE's it was light greeish blue. She didn't lay in her nesting box though even though they have 2 and one has a plastic easter egg in it and the other one a golf ball!!! But yay 1st egg ever!!!

I got my 1st egg today!!!! I couldn't eat it because it was frozen and I had gotten out there late so they had busied it and then all taken turns walking on it was it was cracked but still! It was on of my EE's it was light greeish blue. She didn't lay in her nesting box though even though they have 2 and one has a plastic easter egg in it and the other one a golf ball!!! But yay 1st egg ever!!!
Congratulations! What a thrill a first egg gives! Start checking often especially in the morning. You'll soon be aware of when the egg(s ) might be there. Don't be surprised if you find them in odd places until they get a hang of how this egg laying thing goes. I found one of my earliest eggs in the run just laying there smack dab in the middle.

Congratulations on your first egg!

Not old lol. Kansas City, MO :old
You can put that in your profile in the Information tab ;) It can be quite helpful when you have a question that might need a general geographic location to answer.

24 Today, one EE egg frozen & cracked since she doesn’t know how to bury her eggs down in nesting materials during freezing temps. The rest laid and buried protected.
Smarter than mine! None of mine bury their eggs in the nesting material.

How long before one freezes? We're getting high 20s here lately and so far no frozen eggs.
You've got a long time at high twenties. Eggs freeze a bit lower than water. It is helpful though if several hens lay in succession since they will usually gather any eggs in the nest under them while they wait for theirs to emerge.

Congratulations! What a thrill a first egg gives! Start checking often especially in the morning. You'll soon be aware of when the egg(s ) might be there. Don't be surprised if you find them in odd places until they get a hang of how this egg laying thing goes. I found one of my earliest eggs in the run just laying there smack dab in the middle.
First egg I ever got was over by the water in the barn alley run. I bet the poor girl thought is was just a big poop. I've got one now that has decided she should lay in the hay on the floor of the "feed room" rather than the nest boxes which she WAS using before. And the one that decided to make a nest in the top of the alpacas' hay roll has since decided the nesting boxes are OK again.

those first eggs are the best I do use a couple fake eggs and one golf ball in my nest boxes

SNIP
You've got a long time at high twenties. Eggs freeze a bit lower than water. It is helpful though if several hens lay in succession since they will usually gather any eggs in the nest under them while they wait for theirs to emerge.
SNIP

The first time that happened, my wife thought one hen had laid three eggs. Just for a minute. It's pretty frequent now. The nice part is that all eggs are warm to the touch when we collect them, in this cold weather.

Back
Top Bottom