How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

2 silkie hens, 2 eggs. At least I won't have to figure out if these are male or female lol... they were delicious!!
20200525_091045.jpg

I only collected 8 today.
I know that there are at least 7 more out there. My 1 hen who has been sitting on eggs since the beginning of the month moved to the lower nest on the floor.
I snuck 2 chicks under her in the nest box above the floor. I also snuck 2 chicks under the other broody that is in the top nest box. I checked on the chicks several times today to make sure they hadn't been rejected or pecked on. All was good until I went to lock them up for the night. The one that has been broody the longest had abandoned her nest ( with 6 eggs) and was in the nest on the floor (that has at least 7 eggs that were laid today). The 2 chicks that I had put under her were still in the previous nest box. Then I saw that she had a chick with her on the floor! I guess 1 or both of the chicks from the top nest box abandoned ship so to speak and she went down to join it/them. I moved the 2 chicks in the box by themselves down with her and she took them as well. Now I just don't know if she has 3 and the other broody has 1 or if she has all 4. I did toss the 6 eggs that she left behind. 2 were VERY bad :sick:sick and 4 either hadn't been in there long or were unfertilized.
Tomorrow I will take away whatever eggs she is sitting on, so hopefully, she will concentrate on the chicks and quit trying to hatch eggs! I'll also be able to tell if she has 3 or 4 of the chicks.
I guess if the broody hen in the top box did not keep any of the chicks, I will let her sit on eggs. Prior to today I have been taking the eggs from her.

Back
Top Bottom