How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

7/7 today 85 since the first of the month.

I have $72 in the egg fund from all the selling, saving up for an automatic pop door to get some more rest on weekends!

this is my "Betty White" I love this hen!!! She lays the coolest dark brown eggs!!!

Oh I love that name, Betty White. Cute name for a cute hen. I was so excited I found 3 eggs in the nest box today. I have been only getting one. They are pretty small, but I'm hoping they get bigger with the age of the chickens, can't remember. Two were white and one was light, light brown. I am guess Black Minorca and Cornish Game or Buff Orpington layed the really light brown egg.

I am guess Black Minorca and Cornish Game or Buff Orpington layed the really light brown egg.
I get med/large creamy light brown eggs from my Barred Rock "Gertie" often times she lays double yolks too!! She's a hoot, thought their was a wolf in the back yard today, Gertie was cackeling like hell so I stopped my house cleaning to go see what all the comotion was about and it was my neighbors stupid tortie cat! She visits my cats and came over the back fence well Gertie decided she was not welcome! and sounded the alarm!!(she's the top biddie) Everyone else ran and hid under the syringa bush......

Here are some of the shades of brown I get,and todays haul, Gertie light one on bottom right

Last edited:
Two started laying this week and this is the first day I got 3!!! RIR keeps hopping out of the run to lay in the leaves under a small tree across the yard so I kept them locked in the coop until after church and she lated in the enclosed run under the coop house, silly girl. It's only her third egg so hopefully she'll find out about laying in the boxes from the other 2 laying. Daughter did drop said 3rd egg though climbing under the coop for it, lol.

ok is there anything else i need to be doing...my girls which the ones that were laying were 3. i have 13 hens but not all laying. the 3 girls havent laid in over a week. this is what i've done...

i've put a light source in the coop

i've been letting them go outside in the grass to forage around

i've put there nesting boxes where it is harder for them to get wet and cold

i've cleaned the coop and boxes in depth

put down fresh shavings, and fresh hay in boxes

i've put in a bigger food tray in the coop

is there anything else i can do...i'm afraid they will get egg bound, will they if they quit laying suddenly. they are not in molt at all, no feathers around, they don't have feather loss. i knew that cold weather/shorter days would affect them but for them to stop completely...should i be worried??

thanks for any advice...i'm still very new to this and i am still trying to figure this all out. i don't want these babes to suffer and i want some eggs
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom