How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

I gave her some night and it went through her. The proof was on the dog crate tray. Really don’t know what happened to her. She passed about a half hour ago. Since she was two months old, she mostly squeaked instead of quacked. Maybe a genetic defect that finally overcame her. @WannaBeHillBilly , warm bath was the first thing I did while getting the CG ready to give her.
Sorry to hear that! :hugs
You got her from a hatchery? I have heart complaints about Runner Ducklings from many people, not only BYC members. Was she a very slender, very upright walking duck? That seems to be a common pattern in sudden Runner Duck deaths. In Europe they have bred Runner Ducks with longer than usual legs that are prone to hip injuries causing internal bleeding and sudden death. But who cares if they are »star of the show«.
I would breed more Barnyard Surprise ducks here if only i could learn to give away those drakes… I get too attached to the little ones, hatched here even when they turn into serial rapists.
:barnie

I’m so sorry. There is always that possibility. I am pretty sure my Runner had something like that also. That was a bad hatch I got from the hatchery the reason I know was because there was a member on here who ordered from same hatchery and he got a notification that his order would be delayed because they were having problems with their hatches. So it happens. No way of knowing for sure with out a necropsy. If your up for it, I wasn’t.
I could not do a necropsy on this one. In my mind it was a genetic defect or the drake crushed her with her neck on the side of the pool or maybe egg bound. If I lose another, necropsy is a definite thing. I have cleaned for human consumption many ducks, geese , doves, and other animals for human consumption so queasiness is not a problem. I just did not think it was needed in this case. I do have a question though. Does rigor set in real quick when they die ? I saw her five minutes before she died and she was stiff when I found her.

I could not do a necropsy on this one. In my mind it was a genetic defect or the drake crushed her with her neck on the side of the pool or maybe egg bound. If I lose another, necropsy is a definite thing. I have cleaned for human consumption many ducks, geese , doves, and other animals for human consumption so queasiness is not a problem. I just did not think it was needed in this case. I do have a question though. Does rigor set in real quick when they die ? I saw her five minutes before she died and she was stiff when I found her.

Rigor Mortis is noticeably more rapid in birds than in humans, and other mammals. With mine, the timeframe is usually around thirty minutes after death. I believe there are strong variables between times.

I fooled myself, the girls rolled one of the fake eggs out of the nest this morning into the middle of the coop, and when I opened the coop door I got SO excited because I thought it was a real egg.. No eggs today..
Thinking optimistically, she did not have room for the fake and will laying a brood soon.

We've had a cold snap, some days 4-5 most days 7 eggs. The eggs have been freezing and breaking. Currently outside is 10F and the feels like is -6F, a little snow, with 12 mph wind. It's brutal, everyone stayed in today. I moved their feed and water inside their coops. For the most part my ducks haven't minded the cold and even seem to like the snow. But that was when it was only in the 20s.

Back
Top Bottom