How many Eggs did you Sell today?

Quote:
We are a family farm 50 acres not huge but I let my hens lay 2 years then I cull half the flock and replace I dont cull til the new ones are laying but this way every year I fet 15 or so nice stew birds and the eggs stay up...

Quote:
Around here its about 2 bucks wont get more than 3 a dozen I freerange and only pay 8 a bag for feed our local mill makes there own 16 percent complete includes grit oyster shell etc... The freerange is the key and it gives me a bit of wiggle room on price... as i posted earlier i get 2 and the butcher I sell to gets 2.50

Quote:
We are a family farm 50 acres not huge but I let my hens lay 2 years then I cull half the flock and replace I dont cull til the new ones are laying but this way every year I fet 15 or so nice stew birds and the eggs stay up...

Do you eat the older hens? I read somewhere that the meat is tough once they reach the age of 3 or older? Is that true? When is the meat of a hen too tough to eat? (does that make sense?)

7 dozen.

I built a new chicken house with about 25 new nesting boxes and it took the girls a couple of weeks to adjust. I bought some fake eggs at the local craft store and placed in the new nesting boxes and they girls are laying like crazy now. I only bought 6 fake eggs. I will need to get about 10 more. The fake eggs are $0.79 each.

2 dozen today for $3.00/dz!!! Been kinda slow this week because a lot of my coworkers are out of town to a convention we sponser. These people have to realize that my Gals don't take the day off just because someone is out of town. They work their butts off and deserve a little consideration, don't you think? I think from now on they'll find their desks piled up with eggs along with a sales receipt...

I sold 10 dozen eggs this morning!!! I'm so happy that cleaned me out of eggs entirely. Things have been slow on the selling business, I've been giving more away to family and neighbors than selling. But that's okay too, it all works out in the end because what comes around goes around and it never hurts to help people out.

Quote:

Do you eat the older hens? I read somewhere that the meat is tough once they reach the age of 3 or older? Is that true? When is the meat of a hen too tough to eat? (does that make sense?)

Ya we eat them as stew birds boil em up for chicken soup stew or pot pie and then you freeze the left over soup and you have lunches The wife and I did the math and one stew bird made into a big pot of soup is like 8 meals!!!!!

sold 3 dozen this morning,I had to collect eggs very early this morning to have enough to cover my order,can't keep enough and the barred rocks eggs are still small but getting bigger,I should have gotten more gold comets but the (finance officer) liked the barred rocks,said they were purty
idunno.gif
Imuchratherhavemygoldcomets,,,,,,,,,,,,but

Back
Top Bottom