how many eggs do broiler hens lay?

Nimueh Alene

Songster
7 Years
Apr 9, 2017
Sebastian county Arkansas
I ordered brown egg layers from Valley Farm hatchery . I got 2 Sapphire gems, 2 silver lace wyandotte, 1 white rock, 1 Asian black, 1 polish, 3 buff orphinton . I also got 1 tricolor rainbow broiler and 4 red ranger hens. Do these lay many eggs at all ? They are foraging well but eat twice as much feed as the others.

The 2 latter type of chickens are actually meat birds, that’s supposed to be butchered are certain weight and maturity. Waiting for them to lay eggs might not be advantageous for you or for them, since they might developed some weight problems sooner or later.

Well shoot. I don't butcher birds.. Guess I'll rehome them to someone who does. it irks me that I was sent meat birds when I paid for a laying hens. 8 weeks old today
received_10216721921349191.jpeg

They definitely do lay eggs, maybe not that many, but they still lay. If you search byc you'll find many threads about meat chickens that are successfully raised to adulthood.

I have a 3 year old red ranger that not only is a good layer but a good mama and is currently sitting on her second nest of eggs. We also have 4 rainbow rangers born last spring who are also good layers.
I'm not saying they're going to be good layers forever but right now each one gives us a large brown egg just about every other day. One of them lays a speckled egg too.

Back
Top Bottom