How many eggs do you get from your winter layers?

BackyardChick12

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 20, 2012
Any person who raises chickens knows that there are many breeds out there who are good at laying eggs during the winter & some that excell at it. What breeds do you have & how many eggs do you get a week/ everyday? (I'm thinking about getting Chanteclers or Buckeyes for winter production)

I have Wyandottes, a Rhode Island Red, and and Easter Egger. My Wyandottes are my best layers. In the summer, they lay six eggs a week, at least. My Easter Egger and Rhode Island Red probably lay 5-6 eggs a week in the summer.

In the wintertime, production slacks off. Of course, they molt in the winter, so two months of eggs are lost. However, when they do lay in the winter, my Wyandottes lay probably four- five eggs a week. My Rhode Island Red and Easter Egger lay about the same.

So, in my opinion, Wyandottes are really nice winter layers. They are cold hardy, too (no frostbite troubles).

My old neighbors had all three breeds too among 4 other breeds. They suspected that their NHRs or SLWs was laying during the winter. I'm looking to get Buckeyes or Chanteclers for my winter layers.

Back
Top Bottom