How many eggs? Is this normal

Define "in their prime." Does that mean over a year old? If so, it's molting (or post molt) time, plus shortened daylight hours means you're going to see a reduction in laying.

I have never gotten ANY eggs from my hens in winter, once they stop they don't lay again until daylight hours lengthen by quite a bit. So if you're getting some eggs, you're still in good shape.

Define "in their prime." Does that mean over a year old?
Looks like they are just coming into lay.
Quick info packet. I live in northern oregon, the hens in question are 25-26 weeks old. 3 rir’s and 2 black Australorp’s.

problem: they aren’t producing at all. Is it something I’m doing or is it because of sunlight? What could I do to fix it?

Some people have success using lights in the coop to extend their laying season. I don't do that because I like to let the girls give their bodies a rest during the winter.

BTW, 17 of my 19 hens -- including three that are breeds that are SUPPOSED to lay all winter -- aren't. Nor are the ducks, and my geese only lay for a few weeks in the spring. I plan to freeze some eggs today before ALL the girls figure out that there is no penalty here for not laying in winter and decide to quit, too.

Some people have success using lights in the coop to extend their laying season. I don't do that because I like to let the girls give their bodies a rest during the winter.

BTW, 17 of my 19 hens -- including three that are breeds that are SUPPOSED to lay all winter -- aren't. Nor are the ducks, and my geese only lay for a few weeks in the spring. I plan to freeze some eggs today before ALL the girls figure out that there is no penalty here for not laying in winter and decide to quit, too.
How do you freeze eggs?

This will be my first try at freezing eggs. Pinterest is loaded with ways to do it. Most say to beat the eggs first and freeze in ice cube trays. Today, I found one that says to use flexible soap molds and freeze the eggs whole, with one in each of the individual mold cups. Allegedly, those eggs will be okay for baking or making scrambled eggs with a slight change in texture.

In each method, they remove the eggs from the tray or mold once frozen, most say about two to four hours, and store them in a freezer bag until you're ready to use. If they are solidly frozen, they shouldn't cling together in a solid egg mass in the bags, or so I'm told. And, they can be thawed out in the fridge, if necessary. Remember, this will be my first time trying this.

I'm sure they're not as delicious as fresh eggs, but I don't buy grocery store eggs, and it's a long time to be eggless until spring. I'm going to try with the flexible mold and use just a few of my precious eggs. I hope this works!!!!

Back
Top Bottom