How many eggs should I expect a week?

Silviaschicks said:
Is she squatting for you? That's a sign she's about to lay :so I've concluded that I just have to wait until they lay, and I cannot predict it in any useful fashion.

NatJ said:​

I've had cockerels squat, and pullets squat months before they were ready to lay, so I've concluded that I just have to wait until they lay, and I cannot predict it in any useful fashion.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Usually squatting is a sign of entering chicken equivalent of puberty. However, just like with humans, the hormones may START changing...but onset of menstruation varies...same with chickens. Hormones start changing and indicate impending POL, but can still be a few weeks off. Also, more submissive hens are more likely to squat than less submissive hens....and sooner/earlier in the 'teen phase.

Interesting, NatJ, I've never experienced a cockerel squat for me!

Do your birds have access to calcium? Do you give them crushed egg shells? One of the reasons they may be laying no shelled eggs or soft shelled eggs is because they dont have enough calcium.
I agree with Thunder344 - make sure you have switched to a layer formula & have oyster shell out free choice. That said, it is not unusual for the first eggs to be lacking in the shell department. Or, even a few here and there in their first couple of weeks...until their system (hormonally & operationally) comes up to full speed- so to speak - and regulates. Also note that their first few eggs tend to be really small, and they gradually get bigger until they are roughly at the size they will lay regularly.

I free range and I’ve been finding eggs in the nest box. Is it possible some of my other girls are going else where? I only think maybe at max 2 are ready.
One is for sure laying as we find her in the box in the mornings and then an egg these shortly after she leaves.
But is it possible another is laying elsewhere?
We’ve had an egg every single day for 13 days now we’ve just assumed it’s been from a single pullet is it possible 2 are laying?
What you are thinking is highly possible. How many pullets do you have? You can also do the pelvic check, food color in the vent trick to trace who laid the egg...Easter egg hunt as well. Eventually you should have more than one per day. Happy egg finding!

I free range and I’ve been finding eggs in the nest box. Is it possible some of my other girls are going else where? I only think maybe at max 2 are ready.
One is for sure laying as we find her in the box in the mornings and then an egg these shortly after she leaves.
But is it possible another is laying elsewhere?
We’ve had an egg every single day for 13 days now we’ve just assumed it’s been from a single pullet is it possible 2 are laying?
What breed do you have? It is a bit unusual for most breeds to lay so regularly 'right out of the shoot' so to speak unless they are excellent layers (i.e. leghorns, hybrids, etc.). My guess is a couple are laying. Look carefully at the eggs. Are they a consistent shape and color? Or does the shape vary? (i.e. sometimes more oval, sometimes more roundish) You can compare size...but only in the sense of latter eggs being smaller.....as a hen generally increases (sometimes slowly...so they may look the same for a few days) in size until they are at their 'forever' size.

Do please note the italics and air quotes. As with all things in nature, it all does vary - even with the same hen - but, careful observation/comparison of eggs over the course of a week or so should give you a good idea if it is the same hen or multiple hens.

Notice in the attached photo that the shape of eggs vary as well as color. (i.e. both end eggs are more round in shape, whereas the dark green/olive colored egg is much more elongated & pointy on the small end...and the others are in between. With some exceptions, a hen's egg shape is fairly consistent.

Attachments

• IMG_0539.jpg
    IMG_0539.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 3
Do hens practice the egg song before laying? Sometimes I think I'm hearing the egg song but it turns out a rabbit or other bird was scaring the chickens
A hen will sing the egg song both before going in to lay, and after coming out. Usually, she is loudest after. However, not all sing it....AND if one starts her song...others will frequently join in.

The egg song is very different from 'general disturbance' clucking, which is also different from 'airborn predator' squawking, which is different again from 'land based predator' alert.
Link to video of 'egg song'

I have 8 BO’s they are 21 weeks old and only 3 are laying so far. We are getting eggs every other day from the 3 that are laying. We have ceramic eggs in the nest boxes and they show no interest in laying there either. The first eggs from each we found in the run. Now they have been laying on the coop floor. I put the eggs in the nest boxes and they take their beaks and move the ceramic eggs onto the floor and lay next to the ceramic eggs.
Clearly your nest boxes aren't up to their standards. :lau

Back
Top Bottom