How many eggs should I expect a week?

I would have never thought of doing that!!! Food coloring it is!

I would have never thought of doing that!!! Food coloring it is!
I didn't find the video with the food coloring ( I think she used paste?) But another keeper uses lipstick. Says it lasts longer. And with lipsticks being so many different colors. We are nearing Halloween, so there are more color choices☺️

I didn't find the video with the food coloring ( I think she used paste?) But another keeper uses lipstick. Says it lasts longer. And with lipsticks being so many different colors. We are nearing Halloween, so there are more color choices☺️
In the video I saw, she used a gel food coloring. Here is a link to the video:

What breed do you have? It is a bit unusual for most breeds to lay so regularly 'right out of the shoot' so to speak unless they are excellent layers (i.e. leghorns, hybrids, etc.). My guess is a couple are laying. Look carefully at the eggs. Are they a consistent shape and color? Or does the shape vary? (i.e. sometimes more oval, sometimes more roundish) You can compare size...but only in the sense of latter eggs being smaller.....as a hen generally increases (sometimes slowly...so they may look the same for a few days) in size until they are at their 'forever' size.

Do please note the italics and air quotes. As with all things in nature, it all does vary - even with the same hen - but, careful observation/comparison of eggs over the course of a week or so should give you a good idea if it is the same hen or multiple hens.

Notice in the attached photo that the shape of eggs vary as well as color. (i.e. both end eggs are more round in shape, whereas the dark green/olive colored egg is much more elongated & pointy on the small end...and the others are in between. With some exceptions, a hen's egg shape is fairly consistent.
I definitely think it’s at least 2 layers but I might have a 3rd now since I found 2 days today that were different.
mine are a leghorn hybrid made up breed called California Tans.
I don’t think my Wyandotte is laying yet I think she’s way too young for her breed. My others are still waaay too young and I hope they catch on when the time is right.
I checked all their comfy lounge spots that are dark and quiet and found none today.

I definitely think it’s at least 2 layers but I might have a 3rd now since I found 2 days today that were different.
mine are a leghorn hybrid made up breed called California Tans.
I don’t think my Wyandotte is laying yet I think she’s way too young for her breed. My others are still waaay too young and I hope they catch on when the time is right.
I checked all their comfy lounge spots that are dark and quiet and found none today.
:cool: Cool that at least 2 are laying.
Yes, the hybrids do mature quicker, and lay more...but I love my heritage breeds :love...even if they take their sweet time while I'm anxiously awaiting that first egg or two!:rolleyes: Great that you have a mix of both. I've never encountered the 'californiaTans' what are their personalities like? My Isas are sweeter than I expected.

:cool: Cool that at least 2 are laying.
Yes, the hybrids do mature quicker, and lay more...but I love my heritage breeds :love...even if they take their sweet time while I'm anxiously awaiting that first egg or two!:rolleyes: Great that you have a mix of both. I've never encountered the 'californiaTans' what are their personalities like? My Isas are sweeter than I expected.
Since we free range we try not to bond with them. We have one female who I believe just started laying today but she has be loving my husband and he holds her and she just hangs out.
He thought he was funny by bringing her in the house and letting her walk around and hang out 🤨 I was not amused.

I have 8 BO’s they are 21 weeks old and only 3 are laying so far. We are getting eggs every other day from the 3 that are laying. We have ceramic eggs in the nest boxes and they show no interest in laying there either. The first eggs from each we found in the run. Now they have been laying on the coop floor. I put the eggs in the nest boxes and they take their beaks and move the ceramic eggs onto the floor and lay next to the ceramic eggs.
I think I'm going to take my ceramic eggs out!

Back
Top Bottom