How many eggs under broody hen??

I know this is an ancient thread but I want to share my experience with my aseel hen who went broody for the first time. My cobra aseel hen successfully hatched 14 out of 15 eggs and successfully raised them with 0 losses. She looked after them until the cockerels started crowing.

that is great to hear! I just put 16 under my EE and I am second guessing myself- although ...I cant see any of them and her box is nice and contained. I couldnt even touch any and i had my hand up under her feathers at least an inch or two... i'm on day 3 so too late to pull some now.
I wonder what the most eggs ever hatched out under a broody hen is....??

Probably the best way to work it out would be to post a pic of your buff sitting half on or half off the nest with some eggs under her, easy way to gauge the size of her, her eggs, the nest, and those sorts of things. Some small hens can manage 4 or 6, or thats what I give them, once a hen managed to incubate 15 by herself, I was AMAZED.

I like to cheat by running the incubator at the same time she begins to sit, and then ones that fail candling can be thinned out and the rest transferred.

Back
Top Bottom