How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

Returned to the farm today to discover 9/15 hens broody, each on a pile of eggs. The farm sitter took good care of the flock feeding and cleaning but did not deal with the broodies...said the roo wouldn't let her (that I can believe). I guess we'll have to figure out what to do in the morning. She said some of them have been sitting for over two weeks so we are close to having chicks.....a lot of them. :jumpy
Haha well show us chick pictures when that day comes

woo I definitely don't want eggs like that I remember when I use to get a dozen every 2-3 days from the ducks. I'm perfectly happy with less eggs - just need enough to hatch and for baking.

Last edited:
Haha well show us chick pictures when that day comes

We may have some hatching by Monday. We backtracked the timeline with the sitter and it looks like April 1 was when the first broody gathered up a pile of eggs and started setting.

I have eggs, eggs and more eggs.

5 today. With all the broodies, we are only getting 5-6 eggs a day right now, down from 14-15. Gives us a chance to eat through the inventory.

9/17!!!!! Big day! I just went out to lockup the girls and found the 9th one. It had a little bit of blood on it. New layer! This one I think is from my blue Splash Marans based on the color and speckles. The girls were singing their egg song all day long. Must have been happy with all the sun we’ve been getting. Nice change from the torrential downpour we’ve been getting.

Attachments

• C796C071-373E-499C-BF26-D5D246AB17B8.jpeg
    C796C071-373E-499C-BF26-D5D246AB17B8.jpeg
    574.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 205B9FCE-4ECE-491E-87A4-21CCD87940FE.jpeg
    205B9FCE-4ECE-491E-87A4-21CCD87940FE.jpeg
    474.8 KB · Views: 4
Must have been happy with all the sun we’ve been getting.
We are the same - this week with the sun I've had days of all 4 laying (although that stopped yesterday with the heat LOL!). I really need to get one of those helter skelters as I can't work out how to store them int he basket without getting muddled about the dates!

I don't add light in the winter so if one starts her moult in early-mid September, she may not start back up when she's done at the end of Oct or middle of Nov and may be "off the clock" until mid February.
I'm not going to be adding light either - we often have very warm Septembers (usually around 25-28c) so are mine likely to start that early (or is it more a light thing?) but wow that is quite a while off the lay!
would be my first ever double yolk egg if it is.
My 3 (or was it 4) in a week is catching :lol:
Still going to freeze some for when they molt this year.
How do you freeze them?

Bit early for laying yet so I'll update later!

Back
Top Bottom