How many hens can I fit in my coop?

Good idea, thank you. I will perhaps try that before giving up and getting a better coop.

We are going to raise it 2ft off the floor to give them space under. I'm up for some DIY but my dad is handy so could help with that.

Do be sure and look through the coop pages in the link I posted earlier. There are literally thousands of ideas.

I am brainstorming ways to use your coop (and modify) so you can house birds comfortably.
If your dad is up to a fun project perhaps he can help you design a 4'x6' coop using ideas and inspiration from the coop pages.
Fence pickets make attractive siding and are easy to cut for making windows and doors. ;) Maybe someone replaced a fence and needs the old ones hauled off.

If you get chicks they COULD use that coop for about 10-12 weeks. I wouldn't push it much past that age.

Do be sure and look through the coop pages in the link I posted earlier. There are literally thousands of ideas.

I am brainstorming ways to use your coop (and modify) so you can house birds comfortably.
If your dad is up to a fun project perhaps he can help you design a 4'x6' coop using ideas and inspiration from the coop pages.
Fence pickets make attractive siding and are easy to cut for making windows and doors. ;) Maybe someone replaced a fence and needs the old ones hauled off.

If you get chicks they COULD use that coop for about 10-12 weeks. I wouldn't push it much past that age.
Which would give you good time to build a bigger space for them!

Your coop is so pretty though. We just need a.... what the opposite of a shrink ray? it's a shame that it's too small because you did do a great job.

You could add some covered space in your run to help give your birds somewhere else to hide in bad weather besides the coop. Someone here just added lawn umbrellas to their uncovered run and it looks amazing. Or yknow plywood is always a thing. Maybe you could build some type of overhang off the coop to stretch its size a little bit.

(I'm assuming the run and coop are connected)

Thank you! We've painted it to match the run and I'm really happy with how it looks!😊 (Even if it is too small).

I think I will definitely add some sort of out building/extension for the coop. I love the sound of umbrellas, thank you!

Thank you, I will! They're great ideas and I will 100% consider your ideas.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me out😊

I actually rather like my prefab coop I got at tsc. Sure, it could certainly be made with better materials and be larger, but I can have a trio in there (or a quartet of smaller birds) just fine provided I keep up on cleaning it regularly. The roost bars are the same height as the boxes, but they never go in the boxes to sleep.

I have learned however when they put measurements as cm, it's too small.

Thank you you for your perspective. I hope I can use mine in some way too!

Using one set of "nestboxes" to hold food & water is a good idea, because you certainly don't need 6 for the number of birds that can live in that space.

If the silkies are bantam sized, then I think the coop is large enough for 3, maybe 4, but not more than that. (Or 3 to maybe 4 of any other kinds of bantams.)

That's what I thought! Probably the reason I thought the coop would work in the first place. If only I could replace some nesting boxes with roosts🤔. Thanks for your input😊

Your coop is so pretty though. We just need a.... what the opposite of a shrink ray? it's a shame that it's too small because you did do a great job.

You could add some covered space in your run to help give your birds somewhere else to hide in bad weather besides the coop. Someone here just added lawn umbrellas to their uncovered run and it looks amazing. Or yknow plywood is always a thing. Maybe you could build some type of overhang off the coop to stretch its size a little bit.

(I'm assuming the run and coop are connected)

And yes the coop is raised off the floor within the run

Treat Torture your chickens to the good cramped life they don't deserve with this elaborate poorly made Deluxe Outdoor Chicken Coop with Nesting Box and Chicken Run. This piece is both stylish and functional useless. This extra large model is still tiny and includes both indoor and outdoor spaces for your chickens to enjoy while being unprotected from predators and the elements. The attached outdoor run is easily accessible via ramp, so your chickens can come and go as they please. A metal slide-out tray makes it easy a hassle to keep this coop clean. Provide your hens with their very own poultry palace! prison!
(Off topic sorry)
@black cat, you should totally make a thread about rewriting coop descriptions.

Back
Top Bottom