How many hens can I fit in my coop?

@hensforhan
I bought a small prefab too 8-9 years ago. Made a lot of alterations. But it still works with new roofing. It gives shelter at night to 3 bantams (naine de Tournaisis 700 grams bantams) . An extension gives room for another 4 Dutch at the moment. A few window/glass panels holds back the rain and cold wind from the small/safe and roofed run and automatic pop-door makes it possible to go to the larger run after sunrise.

View attachment 2424482
The original coop for max 4 tiny bantams.

View attachment 2424487
the old coop with a new roof and the extension in front.

Edit/p.s. I bought this small chicken coop for 2 rabbits. After they died I wanted chickens but I realised they had to be very small to fit in. The coop was big enough for 3 Dutch ladies. But the tail of the rooster didn’t fit in wel. Size including the small attached run:
ca. 1,98 m x 0,75 m x 1,03 m (B x D x H) . The extension is about 1 x 0,90 m.

Tip: attach a single strip of EPDM on the flap at the hinges to prevent leaking / rain damage.
Thank you, some great information! They look great😊 I will definitely invest in an auto door. Handy tip- I'll definitely do that

Here, I'll rewrite a prefab coop description to make it accurate...

(an actual prefab coop description)
Precision Pet® chicken coops are an easy and convenient alternative to building a chicken coop from scratch. The Hen House II Chicken Coop fits 5 1 chickens, includes 2 internal roosting bars that are too low to roost on, and 2 nesting boxes. This chicken coop also features multiple access doors for egg collecting, an easy clean slide-out tray, and an asphalt roof for extra protection, not enough ventilation, and terrible latches. The Hen House II Chicken Coop provides your chickens with a safe, durable, and easy-to-clean shelter with premium features.
Too funny. That made me giggle!

Hi. I dont normally get involved in these threads, but some of the responses you have been getting are really ignorant.
I have been keeping chickens for over 15 years, in France and now here in Spain- so have a certain experience
Your little coop would be absolutely fine as an overnight roost for half a dozen hens. As long as they have access to a run during the day to feed and scratch, they will be absolutely fine. Ideally make the run predator proof, and you can leave them to come and go as they please. Happy days!

Hello all. We have spent ages constructing a coop and run for our chickens and before purchasing any I would like to know how many chickens I could keep in my coop? They would only be in there over night as they'd be in their run all day every day. I have attached a photo. The main area (not including nest boxes) is 86cm x 83cm and the nest boxes both go out 34 cm and have 3 slots in each (I've heard you don't need very many nest boxes so I will probably take the divides out of one side and use it to put their food/water). I would probably like to get 1 or 2 silkies and the rest would be a mix of hybrids (most likely). There is so much conflicting information out there so I would appreciate any help! Thank you in advance :)
My first chicken coop many years ago was a 10 x 12 outbuilding on a slab with half brick walls. That set way back on the edge of the woods.. It was just there. 25 chicks, straight run.. thinned for dinner. Old fruit crates on the wall made double nests.. Worked great for free rangers.. Filled with straw on floor to nest box.. They still slept outside my back door on my tractor or what ever was available..
My second and current still standing mostly.. The snow pulled down one wall of the run.. That's something to think about.. That netting holds a lot of weight, so much so your posts break off.. yeah, yeah I'm fixing it.. and getting a more open lighter net. I like my chickens but not as much as hawks, eagles and owls.
It has a 6 x 6 attached egg house with a dozen nest boxes and medium wood chips.. An old home built hunting blind. An 8 x 10 addition as a roost. Wood chip and peat moss to cut down on ammonia. Heated dog bowl for fermented feed and a small heated waterer, because the big ones freeze anyway.
Will be adding two or three more roosts as someone is threatening to drop off 5 more chickens.. That'll be bout 40.. too many in my opinion. but they can't care for them properly this winter.
The run is just big enough, an old quite large patchwork dog pen that was already there.. even kept out bear to coyote and wolf hybrid.
Moral of the story is make do...

Obviously your dimensions are a misprint. 😊 I believe a general rule of thumb is about 4 square feet per bird in the coop.
This can be true where you live. But the needed size of the coop depends a lot on where you live (how cold/how much snow) and if the chickens always have acces to a safe run during the day.

Like @AlanV says. If you live in a nice climate like in France or Spain a tiny coop with lots of safe space and shelter outside will do perfect. Inside the coop the chickens only need enough space to roost and a comfy place to lay their eggs.

And there is also the size of the chickens that count. Example: Serama's (< 500 grams) need way lees space then Jersey giants (> 4 kilo) .

(@AlanV if you ever have a European question please check out the thread ‘peeps in Europe’)

Hello all. We have spent ages constructing a coop and run for our chickens and before purchasing any I would like to know how many chickens I could keep in my coop? They would only be in there over night as they'd be in their run all day every day. I have attached a photo. The main area (not including nest boxes) is 86cm x 83cm and the nest boxes both go out 34 cm and have 3 slots in each (I've heard you don't need very many nest boxes so I will probably take the divides out of one side and use it to put their food/water). I would probably like to get 1 or 2 silkies and the rest would be a mix of hybrids (most likely). There is so much conflicting information out there so I would appreciate any help! Thank you in advance :)
Good morning, where I live there is a statute requiring 4 square feet per bird. I have followed it and it has served me well. I have never had an outbreak of lice or worms which can be a problem with over crowding. I have also noticed that no matter how many nesting boxes I’ve tried over a few different coop designs, they all want to use the same one and will crowd into it despite having another, empty box available. Good luck with your girls!

The worst part is, TSC tells you that they're suitable for 5 or 6 birds....ridiculous. From my understanding, it's not great to keep rabbits in hutches either, but I haven't owned a rabbit, just done loads of research because I'd like to get one.
we had one of those from tractor supply a few years ago, we had one armericauna and 2 australorpes. they fit OK in the summer, fine when they were babies but pretty smushed when they got big. in the winter I had to rehome them because we were moving back to NY and were staying in an appt building but I can say that the coop was entirely too small especially in the winter when they sometimes stay in even with a big run I really dont think they would have been happy chickens.

I have the exact coop. I have 2 very large roosters, a normal size hen and a bantam hen. I could probably fit my other hen but think it would be too tight. I took the dividers out of 1 side so they would have room to change positions. Dont put food and water. Would become very messy and possible mold. Keep in mind you need to keep it clean. The poop will can cause respiratory problems.

My first coop was/is an 8x4. It was secondhand but I believe a tsc prefab. It is now old and busty, but I still have chickens who prefer it and I have put plenty of mamas and babies in there when the brooder is full. It has actually held 24 chickens before. But I would never suggest that! After a hurricane my big coop was destroyed, killed all the chickens who were sheltering in there too, all the chickens either ended up staying in the old coop or a goat shelter. It took me a few months before I could repair and fix everything. I would never say that you want to try it, but if it’s one of the good prefabs you’ll be alright. That coop is a bit on the small side, but with a good run you will probably be able to get away with 4 birds. I’d put little shelters or something in the run in you want more birds. One of my favorite coops was just a giant run that I put random shelters in. I have also found that the little wooden kids houses are super easy to convert to chicken coops and last a long time. Right now I have a coop a little under 8x8 and an 8x8 run. It cost me about 350, but I can fit as many chickens as I want, and any more than easily fits in the coop will overeat my land anyway.

Back
Top Bottom