How many hens can I fit in my coop?

Can I pick yalls brains about my coop size?
View attachment 2429859View attachment 2429860
The area under the roof is approximately 85 sqft and the area that's just mesh is approximately 64 sqft.

I have heard 10 sqft per bird in a run, which would mean 6 birds, but my coop is open air and they can definitely spend time in there during the day. It's not just roost space, so I'm unsure.

Looking for numbers assuming they dont free range at all.

(edit: I know chicken wire isnt predator proof. Its somewhere on the to do list)
Just calculate it all as run. 10sqft/bird. About 150sqft? 15 or so. Those suggestions are pretty much a minimum anyways. How many feet of roost would be a concern.

Honestly I came to this thread just looking at recents and didn't think with how many responses there was a need for a response from me.

So ill share the first thing I thought when I read "how many chickens can fit in my coop"
Me- what like circus clowns in a mini Cooper or vw bug? Lol

The area under the roof is approximately 85 sqft and the area that's just mesh is approximately 64 sqft.

I have heard 10 sqft per bird in a run, which would mean 6 birds, but my coop is open air and they can definitely spend time in there during the day. It's not just roost space, so I'm unsure.

Looking for numbers assuming they dont free range at all.

Assuming full access to the entire area anytime they're awake, I'd say about 10 birds. Gives them close to 15 sq ft a piece (10 sq ft run + 4 sq ft coop, just as if the birds were going in and out of the space through the day as they would with a more traditional enclosed coop type set up).

Assuming full access to the entire area anytime they're awake, I'd say about 10 birds. Gives them close to 15 sq ft a piece (10 sq ft run + 4 sq ft coop, just as if the birds were going in and out of the space through the day as they would with a more traditional enclosed coop type set up).
Yeah, I dont close off the 'run' at all. I really like your assessment. Really sound logic. Probably the logic I'll go with. It's got 6 birds now: 5 pullets (1 might be over a year now) and 1 cock(rell), but I'm sure hed love more ladies hehehe

I think that could be good for 4 at the most! And it all depends on where you live and how wet/dry it is. Getting to see your run would help too. So I started out with something very similar to you and after one week of owning the chicks (who had yet to move out) I decided that it was WAY not predator proof as well as it was way too small! So I reworked it and made it into something more desirable. BUT, if I had to do it all over again, I would build my own from scratch bc it’s way less expensive and I’ve learned exactly what works!

Attachments

• 3C4645F5-8F17-48A6-934D-69175D9BFA4A.jpeg
    3C4645F5-8F17-48A6-934D-69175D9BFA4A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 89A14ED7-DB49-45E8-8EB6-1356A6E58EAF.jpeg
    89A14ED7-DB49-45E8-8EB6-1356A6E58EAF.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • ABD8F914-E1F2-416B-955D-B5F4DFC183B6.jpeg
    ABD8F914-E1F2-416B-955D-B5F4DFC183B6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom