How many hens should a Cochin rooster have?

Farmgirl283420

Crowing
Feb 21, 2023
I have two Cochin cocks, 7 hens and 3 pullets is this enough to keep my cocks and girls happy? They seem to be fine some of them have lost feathers on their backs and on the top of their heads other than that they seem fine. My one hen marigold had her back ripped up by my old rooster she healed but it’s all a scar it hasn’t reopened or anything. I would love any advice I really hope this will work!

Sounds like a pretty good amount. But it depends on how rough your roosters are on the hens. If they are really hard on them you could get rid of one of the roosters or get the hens chicken saddles so their backs can heal.
Thank you! I was hoping this was the case!

I have two Cochin cocks, 7 hens and 3 pullets is this enough to keep my cocks and girls happy? They seem to be fine some of them have lost feathers on their backs and on the top of their heads other than that they seem fine. My one hen marigold had her back ripped up by my old rooster she healed but it’s all a scar it hasn’t reopened or anything. I would love any advice I really hope this will work!
Anywhere from 7 to 10 hens per rooster will work .

In reality, the ratio is an estimate based on how aggressive the rooster behaves.

So if you have a gentle rooster he can be with just 2 hens. There wouldn't be issues with cohabitation and it would be a small peaceful flock.

On the other hand, Aggressive roosters require more hens to rotate the abuse the rooster dishes out based on his behavior.

It helps to study your roosters temperament and behavior to estimate how many hens are required.

Last time I tried to release my pullets in the flock was a disaster (2 days ago) The cockerels chased them until one flew on top of the run and got in my back yard where my dogs stay.
I'll wait another week before trying again. I strive for a peaceful flock and don't tolerate them abusing my hens.I'll throw my roosters in a cage before I make mine wear saddles.

Last time I tried to release my pullets in the flock was a disaster (2 days ago) The cockerels chased them until one flew on top of the run and got in my back yard where my dogs stay.
I'll wait another week before trying again. I strive for a peaceful flock and don't tolerate them abusing my hens.I'll throw my roosters in a cage before I make mine wear saddles.
Yeah I love my roosters but the hens come first even if it’s hard. I think they are doing ok so I hope it works!

I tried locking up 1 cockerel but it didn't work. The only way I'll keep them in this fence is to keep both cockerels locked up. I don't think they'll stop chasing the pullets no matter how many hens I have.(I had another pullet fly over the fence after being chased today)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom