How many hens will we need?

wjallen05

Songster
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
North Georgia
Generally speaking... how many hens would you suggest we need to have enough eggs on a daily basis (when it's not too cold to lay..?) for us to eat? We probably go through atleast 2 dozen eggs a week, if not more.

Last edited:
I would over estimate a little bit. But, one hen will give you 7 eggs a week, so multiply that. Four or Five hens would be what I would go with. They are not all going to lay one egg every single day, they skip every now and then.

It would depend on the breed. With high production layers, you might be ok with 4. The number could go up to about 8 if you choose poor layers.

I think the real question is, Do you want to have eggs to share with others? If not go for the 6 to 9 hens. If you do intend to share and have the room go for a dozen. That's how it all begins. Then you will pick up 6 more, then someone will give you 3 and holly cow,watch out your a chicken farmer!!!

You should consider selling the extras and just getting more chickens anyway! They are always cheaper to raise the more that you have. With about the same amount of work.

I have 4 hens and get at least 2 dz a week some weeks more and some weeks less but then again it has only been around 20 degrees for the high and single digit lows lately so I would say 4 or 5 would do the trick.

Well, with our Delightful Dozen we are getting 2 dozen eggs every three days. And we just got them in April, since October we can count on 7+ eggs a day. We did have a couple of days with only 3 - 5 eggs, but that wore off...LOL - now I am selling and or giving eggs away left and right!

Are you seriously asking BYCers how many hens you'll need?
lau.gif
With us, only a hundred (at the very least) is good enough.
wink.png
(TanksHill has the right idea!)

Seriously, though, I think 8-10, along with one flock rooster, is a good size flock to have for what you need. You'll have enough for breakfasts, baking, and giving away, plus you'll have "insurance" while girls are sick, molting, or on "holiday."

It is a good idea to think about what size and breed of chickens you want to keep. Smaller chickens will lay smaller eggs, and some chickens don't "produce" the way others do.

Quote:
LOL! I guess that is a good point. ROFL.

I would love to have endless chickens... I *LOVE* the 8 that I have. BUT... they do eat which costs money. I used to let my chickens free-range. But some dogs came on our property and killed 2 roosters (one was my BELOVED Buff Orpington puppy dog of a roo "Clyde" which I am absolutly devestated about), and 4 hens (2 Aracaunas who were laying beautiful green eggs and 2 Buff Orps). 2 Buff Orpington hens survived and we build a coop for them. I recently aquired a new Buff roo, an Aracauna pullet (I realize it's really an Easter Egger...) and 2 Barred Rock pullets.
Our chicken coop is 20 sq feet with 3 nest boxes and a 70 sq foot outdoor run. I currently have 6 in there and it looks like they'll be enough room for 2 more?

I think I want to get a Barred Rock roo, 2 Barred Rock hens, and 2 RIR hens and incubate the eggs to hatch out.

That will require building another chicken coop. The hubby will be thrilled..
roll.png
lol

Back
Top Bottom