1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many hens will we need?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wjallen05, Dec 7, 2008.

1. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    Generally speaking... how many hens would you suggest we need to have enough eggs on a daily basis (when it's not too cold to lay..?) for us to eat? We probably go through atleast 2 dozen eggs a week, if not more.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  2. herbsherbsflowers

herbsherbsflowers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Covington, GA
    I would over estimate a little bit. But, one hen will give you 7 eggs a week, so multiply that. Four or Five hens would be what I would go with. They are not all going to lay one egg every single day, they skip every now and then.

3. Depends on the breed of chicken hen you get. Some are prolific layers and some are not. Do some research on what breed to get. I would say, 6 hens at least for what you want and this really does seem to be the magie number to keep em happy.

4. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    It would depend on the breed. With high production layers, you might be ok with 4. The number could go up to about 8 if you choose poor layers.

5. TanksHill

TanksHill Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2008
    Vista, Ca.
    I think the real question is, Do you want to have eggs to share with others? If not go for the 6 to 9 hens. If you do intend to share and have the room go for a dozen. That's how it all begins. Then you will pick up 6 more, then someone will give you 3 and holly cow,watch out your a chicken farmer!!!

6. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    You should consider selling the extras and just getting more chickens anyway! They are always cheaper to raise the more that you have. With about the same amount of work.

7. Rooster Ray

Rooster Ray Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    South West Michigan
    I have 4 hens and get at least 2 dz a week some weeks more and some weeks less but then again it has only been around 20 degrees for the high and single digit lows lately so I would say 4 or 5 would do the trick.

8. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Well, with our Delightful Dozen we are getting 2 dozen eggs every three days. And we just got them in April, since October we can count on 7+ eggs a day. We did have a couple of days with only 3 - 5 eggs, but that wore off...LOL - now I am selling and or giving eggs away left and right!

9. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Are you seriously asking BYCers how many hens you'll need? [​IMG] With us, only a hundred (at the very least) is good enough. [​IMG] (TanksHill has the right idea!)

Seriously, though, I think 8-10, along with one flock rooster, is a good size flock to have for what you need. You'll have enough for breakfasts, baking, and giving away, plus you'll have "insurance" while girls are sick, molting, or on "holiday."

It is a good idea to think about what size and breed of chickens you want to keep. Smaller chickens will lay smaller eggs, and some chickens don't "produce" the way others do.

10. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    Quote:LOL! I guess that is a good point. ROFL.

I would love to have endless chickens... I *LOVE* the 8 that I have. BUT... they do eat which costs money. I used to let my chickens free-range. But some dogs came on our property and killed 2 roosters (one was my BELOVED Buff Orpington puppy dog of a roo "Clyde" which I am absolutly devestated about), and 4 hens (2 Aracaunas who were laying beautiful green eggs and 2 Buff Orps). 2 Buff Orpington hens survived and we build a coop for them. I recently aquired a new Buff roo, an Aracauna pullet (I realize it's really an Easter Egger...) and 2 Barred Rock pullets.
    Our chicken coop is 20 sq feet with 3 nest boxes and a 70 sq foot outdoor run. I currently have 6 in there and it looks like they'll be enough room for 2 more?

I think I want to get a Barred Rock roo, 2 Barred Rock hens, and 2 RIR hens and incubate the eggs to hatch out.

That will require building another chicken coop. The hubby will be thrilled.. [​IMG] lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by