How many here are actual backyarders vs. Farmers?

Backyarder. Though, I live near a LOT of undeveloped land and it's semi-rural. Things are hard to explain around here.
tongue.png

smile.png
I am a backyarder. I live in a small town in central Rural Texas with almost one half acre. .
jumpy.gif

I have two Easter Egger hens that are 1 year old named Margaret and Raven. One Rooster from
the same hen named Big Red. I also have the mother hen whose named is Myrtle. I have two
ee's that are about 10 months old. The girl is Chickie and the rooster is Little Red.

My grandparents had a farm in Macon, MO and raised chickens, cows, pigs and corn.
The dairy man came to the farm to pick up the cream. My grandparents would take the eggs to town
on Saturday's and do the weekly shopping. We would go the the Dime Store and see what we could
buy with the money we had. Then the last stop was to the AGI grocery store then back to the farm.

Grandma would have fried chicken for dinner. She would go out in the chicken yard, find a hen and chop its
head off. We three little girls would try to catch the chicken for grandma until the chicken was running at us.
We left that to grandma to handle. She would clean the chicken for cooking but I could not eat it.

I was able to go for two weeks in the summer to stay with my grandparents and help around the farm.
If I had to slaughter the animals I would probably would have been a vegtarian.

Myrtles Babies
love.gif

Backyard farm in the little city of loveland colorado
smile.png
curently raising chickens for eggs, and a large garden both bring in some profit
smile.png
we did have ducks and will be getting a few more ,hopefully adding 2dwarf dairy bots and angora bunnies.my back yard is 3/4 of an acre. I also hope to accuire a bee hive .

Small farmer here - 35 acres with most of it enrolled in Conservation Reserve Program - in 5 years when it comes out of CRP we will switch to raising our own corn for our critters. I have 2 minature horses, 4 dogs, 12 ducks, 90 chickens, 15 guinea keets that I just hatched out in my incubator, 20 more guinea eggs in another bator, 24 turkey eggs in another bator, 13 parrots, many barn cats, 3 vegetable gardens that are each 25 x 50 feet ( all enclosed in chicken wire to keep nosey free-ranging chickens out - most of the time!) and a very tolerant husband who rarely says no to my adding more animals! I hope to be able to raise heritage chickens and turkeys and some guineas and ducks for sale when I retire from my office job in 9 years.

Quote:
Okay, now I just HAVE to ask: you travel with your chickens? HOW COOL!

Yep, we travel with the chickens and the rabbit and the fish. We get some interesting looks at the RV parks and comments ranging from, "Ew, gross! They have disease!" to "Cool! can I pet them?"

Hi
According to the definition of a farmer..2
We are all farmers.
"A farmer is a person, engaged in agriculture, who raises living organisms for food or raw materials, generally including livestock husbandry and growing crops such as produce and grain. A farmer might own the farmed land or might work as a labourer on land owned by others; but in advanced economies, a farmer is usually a farm owner, while employees of the farm are farm workers, farmhands, etc."

I started as a self sufficient hopeful and believe I am now a farmer.
We sell a few hundred chickens a month, have a few sheep, cows and pigs...
So I now refer to my self as a farmer.

I believe most of us are farmers.. Small scale farmers, but farmers non the less..
I own 20 acres.

Back
Top Bottom