1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many here have parrots?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by kstaven, Nov 18, 2007.

1. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    I have macaws (Hyacinth, Green Winged, Blue and gold), Conures (Nanday and White Eyed)

2. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    I Used to, does that count?
    Bugies, African ringnecks, lovebirds, and an African Brown Head Parrot.

You have a Hyacinth? Wow! what did that cost ... last I heard they started around 35k in the U.S.
    I've Met a couple of them, they are very nice birds.

3. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    Right now I have a blue and gold and a sun conure. Used to have before the house fire,2-congo greys,timneh grey,sun conure,white eyed conure,caiquie,blue front conure,sulflur crested cockatoo,canaries,budgies,lovebirds,2-nanday conures,brown check conure,african ringneck,indian ringneck and 2- parrotlets. Almost all were technically rescues.Miss them a lot.

4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Vinny, our Nanday Conure (actually a female who has laid tiny little eggs)
    [​IMG]

5. Sherriekim

Sherriekim Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Southwest Idaho
    I have an African Grey. Before I had the unexpected addition of my second child sixteen years after the first (just imagine... I'm what?!?! That's not possible, my oldest is out of the house in two years, I can't start over!), we had a blue and gold, caique, timneh and a few smaller birds. We had one room in the house that was entirely devoted to the birds and I really miss the blue and gold, but, boy, was he loud! The african we have it the quietest of any large parrot I've ever been around and a real gentle bird. I really enjoyed the parrots and will hopefully be able to have them again as space and finances allow. kstaven, I'd love to see a picture of your hyacinth, that is like the ultimate dream bird for me and most parrot fanciers I know.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

These may not count, but I've got a 14 year old cockatiel, Ozzie, and a 6 year old parakeet, Moe.

7. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    3 Amazons. 1 Double Yellow Head, 1 Yellow Nape and 1 Blue Front. Photo is of Tuttie, Blue Front. I used to hand raise this type of Amazon and owned both of her parents. She's a clown.

[​IMG]

8. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don't own any myself, but I work for a lady who has about forty rescues! I'm there so often I feel like they are mine!

She has moloccun(sp?) cockatoos, sulfur cockatoos, a green wing macaw, two african greys, rose breasted cockatoo, indian ringneck, alexandrian, Parakeets, cockatiels, lovebirds, conures, and a bunch of others that I can't remember the names of! She also has a beautiful cage full of fancy finches! It's amazing how many people have unwanted birds! And they all have such wonderful personalities. It's amazing how a bird can come in completely afraid of you, and later want to be your best friend! I have a few pictures of them too:

Reggie Bird
    [​IMG]

Sashi
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Max
    [​IMG]

Chaplain (RIP)
    [​IMG]

Fiona
    [​IMG]

Fiona's boyfriend, Gus
    [​IMG]

Jazz, hiding.
    [​IMG]

Angel
    [​IMG]

Finches
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Snowy
    [​IMG]

Tiki Bird
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd love to have a conure of some sort. Are they terribly noisy....and I need "noisy" from the point of someone who's not crazy about birds (my hubby). He gets aggrevated with my cockatiel and parakeet!! [​IMG]

10. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I have an Africian Grey--he is new to us. we have had him for 1 week. He's 12 yrs old. So far so good, love to talk with him.
    Ill have to take some pictures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by