How many homeschooling families do we have on BYC?

Quote:
I agree thats why I love being homeschooled and I don't have to go to school spend 8 hrs and then come home walk pigs walk dogs and all that I can do during the day

I'm calling social services on each of you. How will they get socialized? Won't they miss things like riding the bus to school and prom? How will they ever know what it's like to go to the bathroom in a stall without doors if they don't go to public school? Why keep your kids at home when you can institutionalize them like everyone else? They won't ever have snow days! Just because Abraham Lincoln, FDR, and Margaret Mead were homeschooled doesn't mean...

Have you ever noticed, by the way, when some homeschooled kid robs a bank or drowns his gerbils the newspapers always note that the kid was homeschooled? It's never, "The public school educated axe murderer was captured yesterday..."

All of ours were homeschooled using Calvert, then Sonlight, then a mix of classical and Sonlight with a smattering of co-oping. 2 in college (both double majors), and 3 more still at home.

My daughter is very active in her youth group at the local small church.

We went to a homeschool 4-H group for the second time. What a difference!!!!! In 4-H no kids were texting (lots still had phones) no divisions by age.....respect for the adults and respect for all the kids, got the meeting done and they all went out to play a game outside and they included all the kids! No breaking up into little groups. No adults even thought they needed to go out and supervise!

Why would anyone not choose homeschooling.....
smile.png

My just turned 13 yr old does still get a bit shocked when asked if she got gas at the gas station or if we need separate checks. She never wears makeup, homeschool kids just about always come across as more mature then public school kids, HS kids socialize in the real world...
smile.png

I never know what to say when the person who just stated how "nice" or "mature" my daughter is then makes a comment about how unsocialized HS kis are......
sad.png

Farrier is right about how the maturity level of homeschooled kids is much higher than PS kids. I've had a gazillion comments from people about how mature my kids were. Many times I'd be on the phone talking and when the person couldn't hear kids screaming and fighting in the background they'd ask, "You do have 3 kids don't you?" or "Are they actually home?" My kids almost never fight! Maybe there are like 2 blow-ups a year. They have come to respect each other a lot. The older ones also helped my youngest with school work. We did a cooking class one year and I'll tell you with 4 people in the kitchen at once you would have thought it to be utter kaos, but not here! It all went super smooth.
smile.png

By the way, I've mostly used the ACE curriculumn. It's easy to administer and document their progress. I also used Christian Light and Alpha Omega.

Well I thought for sure my kids would be more mature and well behaved since we homeschool.... nope they fight and bicker just like like they always have.

sigh

I was thinking about a thread like this and here it is!
smile.png
We started homeschooling in 1998 when our oldest was turning 5. I can't believe we're still plugging away, 11 years later. The oldest went to traditional school last year for 8th grade, her wishes. Currently I'm schooling DD2 in 7th grade, DS1 for 5th, DS2 for 2nd and trying to keep the 3 yo out of trouble.

We've schooled using a variety of methods. We used OHVA (Ohio Virtual Academy) for one year, and Ohdela, another distance education program, for four years. Currently we're using Learning Adventures which is a great unit study approach, combined with lapbooking. We use Abeka for math.

Adding chickens to our learning is yet another extension of how we love to learn through God's creation!

Back
Top Bottom