How many homeschooling families do we have on BYC?

sparkles2307 said:
but I dont see how anyone can afford it in this economy!!!

If both parents need to work then I totally can relate to the cost issues.

However, if it's because books are expensive then sometimes great deals can be found on e-bay or such sites. We are very fortunate to have used book sales several times a year here. Lots of Home Schoolers get together and sell books that their kids have outgrown for really good prices. We also have a huge 3 day Home School Conference every June where hundreds of sellers meet and sell new items often without charging shipping fees. That helps a little also.​

We always used book swaps and stuff, I know that the cost of materials can be reduced. DH pays a lot in Child Support each month so my check is the big one...we couldnt do without it.
sad.png

Quote:
This is my favorite question to answer! I usually get asked in the form of, "Aren't you worried about your children not getting enough or the proper socialization?" My answer every time is, "What socialization are you talking about? The kind of socialization that the kids are getting in the public schools is not the kind of socialization that I want my kids to have." It shuts 'em up every time!
wink.png

OK we were allowed to hang out with the public schooled neighbor kids, and went to the homeschool co-op meet once a week where we had science, history, and PE classes. We were well socialized. It irritates me a bit to see our neighbors a mile down who homeschool thier kids and DONT let them meet people...the kids gape with their mouth wide open if a car goes by, and heaven forbid someone go over to their house, the kids dont even know how to say Hi they just stare open mouthed ...that is what makes everyone think that all of us homeschooled kids dont know how to socialize. We were the only homeschooled kids in our chucrch youth group and we were still "popular" (i hate that word but ya know...) and when we went to school in high school we integrated just fine and had lots of friends. "How do they socialize!?" "By carrying on intelligent conversations, try it sometime!"

I home-schooled all three of my children for their entire lives, as a single mom when I split with their dad and I was 9 mos preg with our youngest daughter. They are aged 20 working hard, 19 marrying a Marine this year, and 16 still going strong. Productive good people. Totally enjoyable to be around.
If your concerns are:
Financial; believe me, God provides a way.
Social; I had to cut back on their social life so we had more time for academics. Too many volunteer projects, co-op classes, church activities and social events.
Confidence; did you know how to raise kids before you had them? You learn right along beside them, are only 3 steps ahead in their subjects, and you will learn more than they do.

Remember this most of all.....

Homeschool is a life style.

God bless all of you who choose to take control of your children's education and understand the advantage and blessing of parenting vs. institutionalizing

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
I could not have put that into better words myself.
smile.png

It is a life style, I completely agree with that! I also want to add that it is the best life style and commitment I have ever made.
smile.png

still loving all the responses. I also agree that homeschooling is a lifestyle. We don't need bells to tell us when to stop learning.

Back
Top Bottom