How many hours spent with your chickens?

In the winter, not very long. Even though they're in a barn, I'm in and out pretty fast just to check up on them.
In the summer though, I can spend a solid 2 hours with them on a good day. They really are the best therapy :)

70301762-D0D2-4C1D-B933-16D9A3B58055.jpeg

Blue is in the nest box and everyone else is just trying to stay warm during the cold snap. We went from a high of near eighty to a low of twenty this morning. I’m just hanging out in the run wishing someone would get off the roost and on my lap! Ahhhh, Spring in Ohio!

And BDutch, I’m on BYC while I’m sitting out here! Double-plus-goodness!

View attachment 2595923

Blue is in the nest box and everyone else is just trying to stay warm during the cold snap. We went from a high of near eighty to a low of twenty this morning. I’m just hanging out in the run wishing someone would get off the roost and on my lap! Ahhhh, Spring in Ohio!

And BDutch, I’m on BYC while I’m sitting out here! Double-plus-goodness!
Until now I have no lap chickens. Maybe upcoming spring if my intentions with natural breeding succeed. The Bantam RIR I want to buy are more tame than the Dutch according to the breeder I have contact with. So maybe it will change for me in the future too. 😄

But until this day of having chickens I find it way too cold during winter to sit outside for more than 5 minutes, even to watch my chickens.

Because I’m not good in multi-tasking I didn’t count the time I’m on BYC as chicken quality time. ;) 😉
And therefore I didn’t count gardening time as chicken time either. But if I am in the garden, I usually let them free range and the chickens do like to come and see if I dig up a few worms or anything interesting falls from the table. Funny, creatures and fun to watch! :wee

Until now I have no lap chickens. Maybe upcoming spring if my intentions with natural breeding succeed. The Bantam RIR I want to buy are more tame than the Dutch according to the breeder I have contact with. So maybe it will change for me in the future too. 😄

But until this day of having chickens I find it way too cold during winter to sit outside for more than 5 minutes, even to watch my chickens.

Because I’m not good in multi-tasking I didn’t count the time I’m on BYC as chicken quality time. ;) 😉
And therefore I didn’t count gardening time as chicken time either. But if I am in the garden, I usually let them free range and the chickens do like to come and see if I dig up a few worms or anything interesting falls from the table. Funny, creatures and fun to watch! :wee
LOL, I couldn’t sit out without the appropriate clothing, that’s for sure! I keep my insulated Carhartts out until mid-April, cuz you never know in Ohio!

3AA13E72-A590-48B9-AD2C-187AB22474D7.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom