How many is too many?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fatbassetvineyards, Feb 26, 2012.

1. fatbassetvineyards

fatbassetvineyards Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Redding CA
    I thought I lost my blue orpington, but I found her with 18 eggs under the travel trailer! I have always used my incubator so the broody hen is new to me. I just candled two to see how far along and it looks about 8-9 days. Anything I should be doing for her, eggs, ect? 18 seems like so many but should I candle them all and get rid of the bad ones? She was not happy with me looking, please let me know.
    Thank you![​IMG]

2. fatsu

fatsu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    She'll be fine just make sure her nest is well protected from predators. You could candle them at the risk of a few pecks. They've been doing it a lot longer than we have though so I'd just let her set it out.

3. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Congrats to the expected mama hen. I'd make sure it's predator proof and give her her own water and food. Since she's under the travel trailer maybe you could wrap the bottom in wire. Also that way when she's done raising her brood you can use the fence to keep them from making a nest under there again.

4. fatsu

Jul 3, 2010
    Its been 3 weeks how did things turn out?

5. fatbassetvineyards

Mar 15, 2011
    Redding CA
    Henrietta hatched 13 very cute chicks. All are doing well. She is an excellent mom. This is the first time I have had a hen raise chicks. I think I am more nervous than her. They are in a chicken tractor. Thank you for asking. I am trying to picture I took on my iPad.

6. fatbassetvineyards

Mar 15, 2011
    Redding CA
    [​IMG]

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Congratulations ! ! So sweet !

[​IMG]

8. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Awesome!!!!

9. TMG s

TMG s New Egg

Mar 22, 2012
    ooh lully, you have a proper mixture there, looks like she wasn't the only one laying under the trailer lol

10. fatsu

Jul 3, 2010
    Awesome conrgrats to you and the new momma. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by