How many just let your broodies do the work? Update post #32 Pictures!

I am experiencing my first broody hen/momma (a partridge show quality Silkie) right now and I can tell you that I will never go back to incubating eggs. It is so much easier to let them do all the work. She got up when she wanted to eat and drink and she is taking excellent care of the babies, one of them a Serama, so I feel blessed that it even hatched! (I had 3 out of 4 Seramas hatch). My only problem now is the chicks are much smaller than the ones I hatched out in the incubator at the same time and I'm wondering how long I leave them with the Momma. I will let her hatch out all the babies she wants from now on
big_smile.png

Ok, this is a bit nerve wracking, even though I "know" it will be just fine.
She has not gotten off the nest yet.
She went broody last Saturday, so its possible that she did get some food and water before we crated her Sunday night.

I stuck an all natural cat treat on top of her food, so I would know if she had gotten in it.
The water is still full as well.
I did finally try offering her some water in a small scoop, but no way!! Get out of here!!!
I will sneak an egg to check for viability soon. Can't help my self
big_smile.png

ETA:
Here a couple of pics, from candling. I did three eggs.
And a question.
One absolutely is viable. But what does it mean if it seems like its just yolk?
Is the yolk generally visible still at one week?

37989_candled_eggs_004.jpg

37989_candled_eggs_006.jpg

37989_candled_eggs_008.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I think I will hatch out some Silkies one of these days, just to have some nice broodies.

My Black Jersey Giant was a good broodie, but she was so aggressive in protecting her babies that she made herself obnoxious.

The Buff Orpingtons who went broody last year did pretty well.

Catherine

Out of 6 eggs under my broody, one hatched today and the other 5 have pipped. Mama is doing fine.
big_smile.png

Question: I have 5 banty eggs in a homemade bator(12 days), after mama hatches all her current clutch, would it be wise to take the chicks away and place the banty eggs under her or will she leave the nest once the chicks are gone?

37989_family_portrait_005.jpg

6 down, 2 to go.
We helped one of the 6 out. Its membrane had dried up fully.
Right now, I have partially helped another, that had pipped well over 12 hours ago.
It should be able to do the rest on its own, once all the blood supply has dried up.
Its sitting under mama, cheeping up a storm, still snug under 3/4 of the shell, with a small opening for its beak.

awww, they're so cute!!! what a good momma
big_smile.png

As for if you can put more eggs, it depends on the hen. I had a broody that sat two clutches straight, but she wanted nothing to do with the chicks. I had to brood them. Most broodies won't do that, from what I've heard anyway...

I've got a broody BO. She is sitting on 12 eggs in a stock tank/brooder. It's like waiting for Christmas all over again. She is on day 10.

Back
Top Bottom