how many males together?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chickgarden, Apr 16, 2017.

1. chickgarden

chickgarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    We hatched some grocery store quail eggs 6 weeks ago and ended up with 3 males and one female. Up until a few days ago they all lived happily together. About 3 days ago one male started chasing the other two off so they have each found other places to live, but they seem "lonesome". Can I keep those 3 males together if I add a few more females? They are in a run with a coop - all together about 20 - 25 square feet. (there is one quail that goes up and down the ramp to the coop).
    We are just raising them for fun, not looking to sell them for meat, eggs or breeding.

2. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Are you keeping the two males that were being chased together? If not, then doing so might keep them calm and happy. If there are no females around, they shouldn't fight (unless they are bloody from being chased by the other male, then they should be allowed to heal first).
    If you are already keeping them together and they are still acting stressed, calling and stuff, time might solve it. So might moving them further away from the others so they can't hear them.
    I wouldn't attempt adding more females in order to keep the males in the same enclosure. It might work, but it also might not, so unless you want 15 more hens anyway I'd just keep the males in separate enclosures. Usually people recommend 1 male to 4-7 hens, so pay attention to the hen that's still with the roo. In a 20 sqft enclosure it might be okay, but there is a risk of him over breeding her.

3. chickgarden

chickgarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    They are all still in the same place, but they seem to have been finding enough space to be on their own. I've actually seen less fighting (I only really saw it for a day or two). Funny part is that the one male has taken over the area the pair were hanging out. I put another food dish in so at least they can all eat in peace :)
    Thanks for your suggestions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by