How many meaties you going to raise this spring

Mr.Grantly

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 3, 2009
I'm hoping to do over 500. I did 170 last summer and I didn't get to keep as many as I would have liked

Grant

Our youngest daughter graduates college this spring so I'll be doing extras. Usually I'll do 30 birds in the spring and 30 in the fall. Approximately 60 birds is enough for my wife and I. About 10 birds are bartered for something or given away.

25. 500? You sell I assume?

ETA: if you don't mind my asking, how did you go about advertising? I'd like to extend my sales to meaties at some point but am unsure of where to start.

Last edited:
I was thinking 30-50 in two seperate batches (assuming I can have one of the girls hatch) and planning on a half dozen turkeys. Simon seems to be planning on adding muscovey ducks and wants a couple of geese (first run geese to keep and hatch)

I would like to raise a total of 100-120 meat chickens. I am also going to increase turkeys to 15-20 and process them at a smaller size. My wife loves Muscovy meat so we will increase them to whatever my 6 duck hens will produce. Along with quail, rabbit, hopefully a pig and beef, we can keep food on the table in a nice variety.

We are going to start with 75 in the Spring, three varieties, 25 each of Dark Cornish, Cornish X, and Freedom Rangers. Might add a fourth batch in there of Buckeyes to make the experiment complete.

In fact, I think I will! Make that 100.

If I can presell them, I would like to do between 300-400(Cornishes) this Spring/Summer/Fall. I am preparing to send out order forms for them in the next 30 days. We'll see what happens. If everything goes well, I will be doing batches of 100-125.

Back
Top Bottom