How many nest boxes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by deertrailchick, Oct 21, 2008.

1. deertrailchick

deertrailchick New Egg

Jul 26, 2008
    I have 6 hens and 1 roo. All the hens are about 6 months old and I have only 2 laying. I don't know if I have enough nesting boxes for the others to start laying. Also, they are quite high off the ground near where the ladies roost so I think maybe they are too high as well.

I have 2 BO's, 3 RIR, 1 JG, and 1 polish roo. 1 BO and 1 RIR are laying and the others are just existing right now. The layers are sharing a box. Please let me know how many boxes you would suggest for the 6 ladies.

Deer Trail Chick

2. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    One, maybe two. Being high is no big deal except sometimes high nest boxes enrourage sleeping in them which is a mess. I have RIR that sleeps in a nest box that is on the floor!

3. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I think you should have no more than 3. Three might be the most comfortable for them so they can have some space in there, but two would work just fine.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The recommendation is usually 1 nest for every 4-5 hens. I would use two in your case.

Jody

5. deertrailchick

deertrailchick New Egg

Jul 26, 2008
    Thanks so much for responding so quickly. I have 3 hens sleeping in one box and 2 sleeping in another. Must be too high. I think I will redesign and reconfigure the boxes to discourage sleeping in them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by