How many of you are experiencing a drop in egg production?

Of my first 5 chickens bought about Easter, 3 were already laying 4 to 5 eggs each, every week. Then I added 8 fuzz-balls, all of which look like grown up chickens now. They are 21 weeks today. The good layers stopped almost exactly at the same time in August, when I started finding feathers every where. About a month ago, I increased the protein in their feed and started letting them out from about 9 AM to 6 PM most days. About 2 weeks ago I started getting 2 eggs every other day, a green one and a brown one. The white egg layer has yet to start up again. And, as far as I know, none of the younger ones are laying. I catch a few of the younger ones sitting on the nest after eggs have been laid, but don't know if it's them, or the big girls. Any suggestions? I'm going to look for a Flock Block to see if that helps. Hubby says the eggs are still about $20 each!
lau.gif

I will never complain about too many eggs again. I will never complain about too many eggs again. I will never complain about too many eggs again. I will never complain about too many eggs again. I will never complain about too many eggs again.

Nada, zero, zilch, nothing
hit.gif

Flock block.

Its this big 12x12 inch block of seeds, grains, molasses, grit, oyster shell...It was about 10 bucks...

My hubby drilled a hole through the center and we hung it under the cover in the run. Though if I had it to do again, I would put it in a wire box or something like that..

It is supposed to help with boredom and the like... my birds free range during the day but their run is more than big enough for them. I am leaving at the end of the week for 10 days, I wanted to make sure that the girls would be entertained and the like...We spend a fair amount of time with the birds, but with me leaving, the day to day will be left to my husband.. who will be super busy without his stay at home wife.... dealing with three kids, two dogs, and five hens.l...

Turns out, they like the block.. but they are eating their crumble and left overs just as much too...

If you want to try a flock block, you can make your own for cheaper than the store bought version and homemade ones won't have unnecessary ingredients/preservatives in them.
Just do a search here on BYC. I make my own.

OK. I was wrong. My BA who recently started laying is the one who's been laying the one and only egg I've been getting almost every day. So my two EEs have stopped laying all together! It's been like a week! This sucks!

My girls just started laying about 3 weeks ago. They are not progressing like I had hoped they wood. We are down to about 11 hours of daylight. I am going to give it another two weeks, then I am going to put a light in the coop and keep it on until 7 or 8 in the evening. Maybe this will encourage more of them to start laying.

Where I live there are a lot of gloomy, cloudy days which lowers the light even more. I know there are mixed opinions on lights in the coop, but we will be getting dark by 5 p.m. before the days start getting longer again.

Last edited:
21 from 21 all summer. In spring all went broody. All are molting now. 0 eggs.

I want me a sandwich too!

Bun
Grilled Chicken
Honey Mustard
One Over Easy Egg
Cheese
Lettuce

A pregnant lady let me taste the world's best sandwich.
It looks disgusting but, I crave them!

My chickens like to hide their eggs, but my quail are definitely slowing down
sad.png
I was getting 24 or 25 eggs a day from them, now I'm lucky to get 12. And it will only get worse
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom