How many of you are experiencing a drop in egg production?

mrbstephens

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Long Island, New York
Egg production has dropped! It started last week........who else? I guess because of less daylight. It's really a bummer! My 3rd hen just started laying, but now the other two have gone from 5/ week each to every other day, or less.
sad.png
I already know I won't be adding lights and will allow them to have the winter off, but still, WAH!
hit.gif

I haven't had more than 3 eggs a day from 13 hens (down from an average of 11/day) since the first week in September. My birds are molting, but thankfully almost out of it now.

My situation is increasing. My 27 chickens were late bloomers.... wouldn't lay ... they were 9 months old. I started using calf-manna which is 28% protein... and a week later they are laying.... You are either getting hit with the light/season change or maybe gone into moulting.... Also you may need to 7-dust for mites, and maybe wazine 17 for worms.... Hope your egg numbers increase...

I used to get 4 a day from my 4 hens. This has dimminished to 2 a day. The day before yesterday I had one egg and left it in the box. The next day I removed 5 eggs. Today I have zero eggs. I told them all that the rent was due. Hopefully they will get back to doin' what they do best. I broke down and bought a dozen at the store. They are all happy and well feed and given massive amounts of treats and attention. We have about 10 hrs of daylight here and usually we are the ones that wake up the Roo.

Fair Winds,

Bill

Well, I have 12 confirmed layers...3 are molting and 9 give me 7-9 eggs a day. so Im happy-20 more hens to go for eggs!!!

yeah, last week over 3 days only my 2 youngsters laid 3 eggs. Down from one a day for each of 7girls. It was just so sudden, didnt happen like that last fall.

By the way just to mention, last year I read some where from an old timer that feeding greens thru the fall and winter helped with production and really I didnt have much of a drop last winter, maybe its time to get out the lettuce.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom