How many of you have your chicks in your house?

sweeterdeeter42

Songster
8 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
I have a couple Rubbermaid brooders in my house with chicks all under 5 weeks old in them. My mom says that "normal" people dont keep them in the house, and she is telling everyone that I have chickens in my house like I have actual full grown CHICKENS running around my house. So I was just wondering how many of you out there keep your chicks in your house until they are ready to go to a bigger pen somewhere.

I do, and I believe pretty much everyone else does.
wink.png

No need to worry, it's not weird.

It is something I would not dream of doing.
Wouldn't dream of it, as it is an everyday occurrence....

IMG_5439.jpg

As you can see the little blighters are right by our cooker....that's as close as they ever will come to it!

Oh, and the big guys wander in for treats on a regular basis, too.

IMG_5229%20%281%29.jpg

And even lambs

IMG_5325.jpg

Last edited:
I have a brooder in the basement with 10 . My husband hates having chickens "in the house", he thinks its super gross. I think that until he build me a proper brooding shed outside (or another coop???) then they will be brooding in the basement....

Quote:
Amazing cooker!! I love your kitchen.

My 14 fuzzy butts just got moved out to the shed after 5 weeks in the house.
jumpy.gif
I had to make room for the next hatch, due later this month. My husband thought it was wierd the first time I set a brooder up in the house. But, he has never had critters and thinks everything is wierd.

The best place for new chicks is in the house, right? That way they are warm and safe and always getting noticed. Makes it easier to keep tabs on them...temp, food, water, health.... Plus they get more socialized to people. Those are my rationalizations anyway.
smile.png
I have a brooder of chicks in the house with me right now.

82361_duccle_chicks_day_1_136.jpg

The 3 chickens I've raised were all in the house until they were 4-6 weeks old (I think). Even with the great Hawai`i weather, I felt some anxieties putting them outside. Plus I never did have an official well-built coop to put any of them in.

Now, with this new bebe, I don't know when it/she is going outside. The bebe is happily inside the house.
yippiechickie.gif
No matter that the weather doesn't go below 75degrees (usually) this time of year.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom