1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many people have had chickens stolen by two legged predator ?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by stacym, Aug 19, 2008.

1. stacym

stacym Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Kennard, Nebraska
    I'm just curious on how many people on the forum know or suspect that their chickens have been stolen. I had mine stolen and even I couldn't believe it! I don't think that the chickens learned how to unlock a door from the outside though. Is this more common than I think?
    Stacy

2. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I'm so sorry about what happened. I cannot even imagine how that might feel.

I know this happens, but geez. [​IMG]

Ellie

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I see posts on BYC about stolen birds every 2 weeks or so. It's pretty common, sadly enough.

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    In the last year, twice. It was years before that. Strange as it might sound, I had more chickens stolen when I lived in New Jersey than here in Cal. There I had four large chicken houses, 40x100 and one 50x150 which was two stories. Now I live in the Cal. foothills and free range all the chickens. They do have coops, but can come and go as they please.

5. Chickenfiend

Chickenfiend Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2008
    Bellville OH
    I think ill install a key lock.

6. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    All of my Silver-laced Wyandottes disappeared one weekend. Eggs out of the nest box, all the way up to the breeders.

7. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Chook got stolen and was missing and presumed dead, then showed up a month later in a neighbor's front yard. Looked like the thief took good care of her though-- I was glad of that. If I knew who it was, I'd of asked them what they'd been feeding her, before snatching them bald-headed!!

8. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I haven't had any stolen from me but one of the breeders i buy chicks from who raises leghorns, oegb and brown red cochins had her flock wiped out by a 2 legged predator. They stole the eggs and chickens several times before she built her yard up like fort knox. Im always afraid that will happen to me. If it ever did id be totally devistated because these are my pets and i love them dearly. I'm soo sorry this happened to you [​IMG]

9. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:Hey stacym, it looks like you don'r live that far from me. I hope the crooks don't make it out my way!

10. farm_mom

farm_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    I've raised chickens for years, and we've had our first chicken theft this year. I'm active at another forum where people are experiencing theft in their gardens for the first time this year as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by