How many people here raise their chickens as pets?

Hi, Jenniferlamar70! I started out as a vegetarian until I found out more about the dairy and egg industry :( Now I am a vegan. Of course, I realize that raising your own chickens for your own eggs is a completely different thing ... I don't have a pet chicken, but I do have a very spoiled and sweet pet turke who I love dearly. I just can't imagine people eating these birds that they raise so closely. 4-H is also a program that stumps me too ... Raise, care, and show your animals before butchering them or selling them in an auction for slaughter. So sad and weird. I just don't get it ...

Most I keep for eating or other consumptive purposes. About half dozen are kept as pets with expectations of longevity that will match that of a dog or cat. The pet birds also handled extensively.

You do not have to be all or none on this issue.

Hi, Jenniferlamar70! I started out as a vegetarian until I found out more about the dairy and egg industry :( Now I am a vegan. Of course, I realize that raising your own chickens for your own eggs is a completely different thing ... I don't have a pet chicken, but I do have a very spoiled and sweet pet turke who I love dearly. I just can't imagine people eating these birds that they raise so closely. 4-H is also a program that stumps me too ... Raise, care, and show your animals before butchering them or selling them in an auction for slaughter. So sad and weird. I just don't get it ...

Wow. Your the first person I've ever met with the same views as me. Where I live I'm a total weirdo lol. I live animals and that's why I've made this decision to live this lifestyle and for me it is all or nothing. I have friends who don't have the same lifestyle and that's ok but I won't ever eat meat again. I'm so happy I've met you!!

I always wondered how the kids in for a to do it also. But then I was told by somebody that a majority of the kids don't really do that much with the animal, so they're not really emotionally attached to it so it's not a big deal to them. I don't know how true that is, I'm sure there are kids that are very attached. But they probably don't do it for long.

I always wondered how the kids in for a to do it also. But then I was told by somebody that a majority of the kids don't really do that much with the animal, so they're not really emotionally attached to it so it's not a big deal to them. I don't know how true that is, I'm sure there are kids that are very attached. But they probably don't do it for long.

My niece is in 4h. They do have lots of involvement with their animals. They have to raise them. The difference is they are taught from the time they are born that animals are food. Nothing more. They do learn to care for them in the way of being humane. My niece would never harm or hurt it but she has always known they would eat it. My kids have been raised differently and the thought of killing an animal to eat repulses them. We plan on doing 4h this year though. Not all of them are for eating. My kids are going to raise a chicken for showing. They don't have to sell it at the end. :)

Wow. Your the first person I've ever met with the same views as me. Where I live I'm a total weirdo lol. I live animals and that's why I've made this decision to live this lifestyle and for me it is all or nothing. I have friends who don't have the same lifestyle and that's ok but I won't ever eat meat again. I'm so happy I've met you!!
I agree with both of you
smile.png

Darn.

You are definitely not alone! I live in Minnesota where farming, fishing, snowmobiling, and hunting ... Well, you get the gist ... Oh, and high school sports - are #1
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png

Back
Top Bottom