How Many People Raise Chickens in Residential Area?

MomAtHome08

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 1, 2009
Northern IL [WI border]
We have an outlaw chicken ranch in our....garage. We have 12 total, though some roosters are on their way out.
wink.png
I am just curious as to how many other people out there have chickens in unsual places? Our neighbors know and are cool with it, and no one else has noticed.
Thanks,
Brenda

i just got 3 Buff Orpingtons about a month ago.........and they're illegal in my neighborhood.........but im goig to keep them UNDERCOVER! our neighbors dont know....yet.

I have mine in a residential area. Up till today have 5 crowing roosters in the back yard with them. I actually spoke with the police department before I got them. I was told Roosters are not allowed but hens are fine. The only time action would be needed is if for some reason they became a nuisance. The police department was great about pulling out books and looking up exactly what I needed to know to stay out of trouble.

The neighbors have been great about the roosters. no complaints. Granted they may celebrate after they are gone today but thats ok too. They were noisy little beggers.

We are allowed 12 where I live. We have at least 5 times that many. So far we have 2 roosters that are crowing. I have sold or given away all of my other roos before they started crowing. Nobody has complained so far.....
fl.gif
They are in pens behind a privacy fence, so most of the neighbors don't know just how many we actually have. The one couple who does know also has chickens, so they have no problem with us having them.

We're in a neighborhood out of the city limits-I called the county sheriff's office & they said it's not a problem keeping chickens in the county, but the neighborhood may have some ordinances...

There's no homeowner's association and the people behind us have a Huge metal building, like a bunker. And extremely yappy chihuahuas!!
barnie.gif
tongue.gif
rant.gif

If someone has a problem w/my cute little chickens, then the bunker or the chihuahuas should go first!!!
smack.gif
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif

(can you tell I'm ready for a problem?)
smile.png
We asked our neighbors (other than the people behind us) about our getting some birds for the yard-we thought about ducks, but they said they'd prefer chickens, since we'll be giving them the extra eggs. We have a couple of BO's for now, but I think I need at least 1 Cochin and some Silkies too...maybe an EE....
love.gif

I live in a neighborhood where the cc&r's say no poultry. but we have no HOA. so no one to enforce the no poultry rule. but the city says chickens are OK just not roosters. we have had to re-home 2 roosters.
Chickens are always stealth until they start to lay eggs. then they are NOISEY!! they will no longer be "stealth" after that.... everyone for a couple blocks will know there are chickens in the neighborhood. perhaps just not exactly which house.

Connie

I carefully researched what I could do ahead of time. I have a five acre farmette that is now surrounded by a subdivision. However, we are still in the county and zoned ag so we can do what we want. The only issue might be nuisance but so long as we started the farm activity before the homes were built, which we did, we are protected by the state Right To Farm statutue from any nuisance suits.

The city could still forceably annex us but they would have to grandfather in the pre-existing uses. The subdivision is only in the back and there is a detention pond on one side and homes which are currently vacant on the other sides, with a park across the street, so it's not too bad.

We got a straight run of birds and now the roosters are starting to go at it so we'll see what happens. I have some of them in chicken tractors but the rest are near the house where it is difficult for the neighbors to hear. Once they start waking us up though, it's frying time.

It's not illegal in the residential area I live in currently. I can keep my rooster too! I just found out yesterday actually by calling the town hall. They said as long as my neighbors don't complain I have no problem. I just have to talk to my neighbors now. Hopefully they won't totally hate me now, but honestly their dogs are soooooo much louder with their constant barking. I'll be giving my neighbors some fresh eggs as soon as possible.
big_smile.png

I live a block from the center of downtown Chapel Hill, NC and a block and a half from town hall. We are allowed 10 hens and NO roos. So far, I have 5 (soon two more) hens.

Back
Top Bottom