How Many PET Chickens Are In Your Flock?

How many chickens?

• Only 1. They are my feathered cat.😊

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I have a pair of 2.🙂

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I have 3.🙃

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • I have a small flock of 4-5

Votes: 20 10.0%
  • I have a flock of 6-10 birds. Not too many, not too little.

Votes: 56 27.9%
  • I have 10-20 birds. Keeping it realistic.😌

Votes: 54 26.9%
  • I have 20-30 birds!

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • I have 30-40 chickens! Lots of eggs, lots of types, or both!

Votes: 12 6.0%
  • 40-50 chickens! I keep a big flock!

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • 50-80 chickens! Wow! 😍

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • 80-100, You keep em as Pets?! How do you keep track of names?!

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • 100+ THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MANY CHICKENS!😃😍

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I don’t keep any pet chickens.

Votes: 6 3.0%

• Total voters
9! Horacio the roo, coach Duffey (tiny girl Delaware) Debbie and Betty (red Rhode Island) already 1 year. And finally the last five girls (reds) that I got back in April when eggs were scarce; Kourtney, Kim, Khloé, Kendall, and Kylie lol

So I started out with 2 that a friend gave to me. Then I loved them so much I ordered 8 baby chicks and called the flock "8 is Enough" and named all of them. Then I got 5 more and called them The Adams Family and name them Morticia, Gomez, Pugsley, Wednesday and Uncle Fester. Then I got some eggs and hatched them. We got 11 out of the 16 and called that flock Oceans 11. I named about 8 of them but could never think of a good name for the other 3 (they were all Barred Rocks so we called all 3 of them Barbara. After that we hatched out some more and I have sold some and kept some and name some and not named some. At some point I ended up with 80 chickens selling the roosters off as the baby chicks grew up and were not hens but always keeping just 2 to 2 roosters. I was selling the eggs and then I got a call from a guy moving to Kentucky and could not take his 125 chickens with him and asked me if I wanted them so I ended up with over 200 chickens!!!!!! I sold about 45 of them and now have 170. Too many chickens to be PETS but I enjoy them so much but definitely need to get it back down to under 100! Oy vay! I love my girls!!!!!

OH has a minimum on how many chickens you can own? Or a minimum on chicks sold at stores?

Can't see how they can mandate people must own 6, what happens if a bird dies?

Ohio does not have a minimum on how many you can own, just how many you can buy. You have to buy 6 minimum if you get them at a farm store. But you can get any amount from craigslist or somewhere else. Its only stores that have to follow that 6 minimum law. And I have named every chicken I have owned. But I do get rid of them if they stop laying eggs. I give them away for free on craigslist to a good home. Only had to do that once so far. I just gave away my first group of 5 ladies I ever had. Their names were Mini T-Rex, Violet, Charlotte, Reba, and Aviva. I miss them terribly but I will not keep and feed farm animals that can't feed me back. I did not get them for pets, but for their eggs. But if your chickens are pets, awesome! To each his own!

Yes, they can be very precious, *especially* the pet ones! I like having them for a little company when I'm out doing yardwork. I'm truly sorry about your loss last year. I'm glad your chickies have been able to help, if even a little bit! ❤
Thank you very much. That is so nice of you to say. I have been having such a great week with my pet chickens! Lol! Today I plucked grass for them. We have had bouts of precious rain all today! Hallelujah! We have had a break in this dreaded heat! I found that Matcha my little avatar chick who is actually now 12 weeks old and probably 20 times as big as she was when I took a picture of her to use as my avatar....she is liking to roost on the handle of the waterer. I had deftly noticed that someone had lovingly dropped some deuces as the delicately mouthed daughter I have (God help me) informed me so kindly also as I was hosing them off for the third time today. Soooo amongst all the hosing off spells I decided they needed a different perch or roost in the run so I was trying to come up with some ideas and my husband came up with a huge pecan log from an old tree that his Mama had to have cut down. Once they got over the initial fright at the new thing in their run they started to use their dust bath near it but not perch on it yet. Can you guys tell me at what age they will be when they will actually really establish a pecking order if they are all the same age and grew up together and were born, hatched, arrived at my house, were shipped in the same box together from the hatchery and all nine were in the brooder together and all nine were treated exactly the same everyday. There are three different breeds and I have three of each breed. I have three Creme Legbars, three Swedish Flower Hens, and three Black-Lavender Split Orpingtons. They act like they were under the same broody hen until about six weeks ago. I believe that by the reactions of The Flower Hens they realize that the Orpingtons don’t look like them and I believe that they know that the Orpingtons and Legbars look just a like. However, I did a little experiment about three weeks ago to see how the flock would act if I put the Orpingtons in a separate brooder kennel for one night while we were keeping everyone cooler in the house and it also gave everyone more space. They were right next to one another and could see and touch one another. But you would have thought I had tortured those Orpingtons. They definitely wanted to fly the coop. They were absolutely outdone with me. They were soooooMAD!!! See these big girls are food hogs and space hogs and like to throw their weight around. They love one another so much but the Orpingtons who I had read so much about them supposed to be being docile and easy going being Golden Retrievers of the chicken world. Ha! That is a joke! Not my Orpingtons! Mine are beautiful but they are not docile. They do not back down to nothing. They are the watch dogs of the flock for sure. They are the ones who will defend the flock. If there is a need. If there is anything shiny they will peck it. If it’s moving they nail it. They are the pigs. So they are protectors too. I don’t have any trouble picking one up. I can catch all three but sometimes I might have to work for it. They are not terrible about flying away from me or doing anything crazy too much but one of the three might make me play chase or work for it. I have to say that all nine of my chicks usually listen when I call to get in the coop now or for me to call them to me. They are good girls. I just wondered what y’all thought. How do I tell who is on top or who is the queen B. I just don’t want any feather pickers or food bullies. I have plenty of food for them. I don’t want a food bully. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks you guys so very much for all your kind words also!

Back
Top Bottom