How many Rooster should I keep?

I really don't need rooster, but I like having them around. I don't mind letting a couple of my hens set on eggs to hatch out. I have always had a rooster in with my hen when they where free range. I am hoping to do that again here at our new place. but we have foxes and eagles and hawks. so not sure how it is going to work. I also like hearing the rooster crowing in the morning.

I have 20 chickens. 2 are roosters. I was wondering if I should keep both or get ride of one? they both are very nice and one is a little bigger then the other. They are going to be year old here in june/ july.
If you are wanting to breed, like KiKi mentioned, you might consider getting a 3rd rooster; 9 hens per rooster might be pushing it a bit for roosters less than a year old.

I had a 2 rooster situation until recently. The problem I had was that whichever rooster was not pinned would go over and try to fight the other through the run fence. Unfortunately he would inevitability get a spur hung and be trapped there for however long. So I culled my least favorite of the two. Hated doing it but I can't lose my Bielefelder rooster trying to hang on to an RIR rooster.

If you have two roosters who are getting along - why change the situation? 1 rooster cannot handle that many hens by himself. And if you are even considering free-ranging, then you might consider keeping some of their sons to the flock this summer.

If you are wanting to breed, like KiKi mentioned, you might consider getting a 3rd rooster; 9 hens per rooster might be pushing it a bit for roosters less than a year old.
I thought the same thing. If two are getting along, why risk upsetting the proverbial apple cart by adding another. It may not go smoothly.
However, on how many hens a rooster can handle, may depend on the breed and age of the rooster. The other year I brought in a new young adult rooster after I lost mine. He had 23 hens. Three weeks after introducing him watching him breed different hens, I noticed the eggs we were eating were all fertile so I filled the incubator and had 100% hatch rate.

IMHO 1 rooster can handle 20 hens, each hen will reserve the sperm,,,,or as I have read discard it,,,
I myself will not run more than one over the flock, just to many issues. Such as over mating one or more hens,,,
However, if your boys are getting along it can work, one will be the leader the other gets to watch,,, may not be allowed to crow etc..

I thought the same thing. If two are getting along, why risk upsetting the proverbial apple cart by adding another. It may not go smoothly.
However, on how many hens a rooster can handle, may depend on the breed and age of the rooster. The other year I brought in a new young adult rooster after I lost mine. He had 23 hens. Three weeks after introducing him watching him breed different hens, I noticed the eggs we were eating were all fertile so I filled the incubator and had 100% hatch rate.
I'd have never thought a single rooster could successfully 23 hens. He had to have been one very tired but extremely happy rooster. What breed is/was he; I need one if they can do that :)

Back
Top Bottom